suspended license?

elkins

Really hoping I can share my story and hoping to get some advice and answers. I appreciate the time in advance.

I received my EMT license in 2009, and then decided to join the Army. After I joined, I got a "dui" I say it like this because I am still unsure of exactly what it labels as on my record... I never had to pay any fees, just took an online course and mailed in the certificate. My license was however suspended for a year. I remember back in class, the paramedics stressing about suspended licenses but I don't remember what exactly was said. Now I am deployed, and my license has expired, but I have had confirmation that there is an exception for active duty military members. I am about to get out of the army and would really like to pursue the career I had intended on all along. However I am nervous that I will not be able to get an ambulance license due to my suspended license. I have talked to a friend who is currently working as an EMT and he says his company will not hire until 10 YEARS after a suspended license.. well that is a long time from now. I have a back up plan in case I will not get hired. I just want to know before I get off active duty, so I'm not setting myself up for failure. I got my license and the dui in California, but If I were to get an ems job it would be in NY or anywhere else the army sends my husband and I.

Thank you

• Like 2

Without trying to sound crass, you remember in grade school when they talked about this going on your permanent record? They weren't kidding. This is one of those times.

Even though you got your license back it'll be years before you could reasonably expect to get hired to work in EMS. Driving is an important part of the job. Being able to insure those driving is what lets us get out on the road in the ambulance. A DUI pretty much guarantees that you will be uninsurable by anybody worth working for for many years to come.

If EMS is really what you want then make it a long term goal while you're working on your back up plan. Long term it is still a possibility. Short term you're screwed as far as EMS goes.

• Like 2

thanks for the honesty, that's what I thought. I was hoping to get in the medical field in the army but things just didn't end up that way.

There are many other options in the medical field besides EMS. If you are really interested in healthcare work, by all means, don't be discouraged and go for it.

• Like 2

all is not lost grasshopper. you might be able to get a medic job only where driving may not be required but those jobs are really really scarce.

You could work for a off shore oil rig where driving isn't required.

You could work in an ER where driving is not required. But the dui will still probably follow you as a stain on your record but your military record might offset it.

Working in an industrial setting might also be an option.

Clinic work might work as well.

Fire medic might work as well as you wouldn't have to drive the ambulance because you'd be on the fire truck.

Good luck and thanks for your service for our country.

• Like 1

In order to prevent useless loss of time (I am a planner) does anyone have suggestions on how to find all of this out?

When I get back from deployment my plan is to take a refresher course in order to reinstate my license (not even sure if it will be reinstated and/or if that is the correct process)

and after that, if I do get my license active again, see if anyone will hire me, try volunteering/shadowing?

I'm almost positive after ten years it will be completely removed from my record... I already have three years down so only 7 more... ha ha

• Like 1

Can you please differentiate between your two licenses when you post? Reading back over your comments I can't tell which license is currently expired, which has been suspended, and which one you're trying to have reinstated.

Edit: spelling correction

Edited by paramedicmike

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.