Disturbing article.

Here's an article from officer.com that I was sent this evening. http://www.officer.com/article/10761224/one-man-go-bag-kit-up-now

Most of this article seems reasonable. Until the end.

As a road officer you are the first responder. A thorough two-day course can provide you with the knowledge and skill to stave off the top three preventable trauma-related deaths. At very minimum, your One Man Go Bag should contain a pressure dressing, preferably two, a tourniquet, again preferably two. The kit should have Kerlex-type roll gauze to soak up blood and fill up gaping wounds. A nasopharyngeal airway and a chest-decompression needle are also needed to maintain an open airway on an unconscious patient and relieve a tension pneumothorax.

So, thoughts? Because if I end up getting a needle decompression from someone with a 2 day training course under their belt I'm gonna be a bit perturbed. Alternatively, if I'm wrong, I think maybe they should've added a couple days to the EMT class. I just don't think this would be a great idea. I'll be waiting to see what everyone thinks with great interest. I need to get some shuteye, busy day of filling up gaping wounds with kerlex tomorrow. Nighters.

• Like 1

I understand that police officers as first responders need to have some basic first aid knowledge but this doesn't even seem legal. Chest decompression is an ALS skill which even in EMS and performed by educated paramedics requires medical direction (usually by standing protocol). I don't see how an average police officer can legally perform the skill without a physician director to practice under. I would also be wary becuase although, the skill can most likely be taught in a very short amount of time, the reasoning behind it may be more complex. Sure a person could probably learn how to locate a landmark and poke a needle till they hear a pop, but without assessment equipment and experience in assessing patients, I would be concerned with the procedure being used when it is not indicated. I agree that this is a disturbing thought.

Afterthought: I do remember seeing at least one place where LEOs are paramedics as well. If he is talking about a case like this I could see it as reasonable.

• Like 2

If the LEOs were paramedics that would be fine. The author is saying that a 2 day class would be enough to qualify them for this skill. If they were medics they wouldn't need the 2 day class though. I was never shown how to do a needle decompression so I can't dispute that it could be taught in a short time. But as you said, without the assessment skills you might get a nervous police officer shoving a needle into someones chest while they're taking a nap after a heavy meal which caused some bad indigestion and bloating.

I remember seeing an article recently, might have been on this site, in which the police thought they found a body of a drowned man in a river, taped off the scene and called the medical examiner, then the guy sat up and wondered what was going on because he laid down in the shallow water to cool off and took a little nap.

I suppose this would make napping in public a lot less common after a few amusing (not really) mishaps though.

edit: Sorry, I got that mixed up. Onlookers thought he was dead and called police, then apparently they called the coroner, then he sat up. Still, how bout a pulse check or at least a breathing check. He didn't get a needle shoved in his chest so I guess he's lucky:P

http://www.krqe.com/dpps/features/must_see_video/man-sleeping-in-river-mistaken-for-dead-ob12-jgr_4299609

Edited by BillKaneEMT

Sorry, Unless the officer is medically trained, he/she shouldn't be doing any more than ABCs (or however they are changing the initials now).

Use of a NPA or decompression needle in the wrong hands brings harm to the pt and opens up a can of lawsuit. I can't imagine that someone came up with this idea for a kit.

They are setting themselves up for very expensive lawsuits. One of these days, one of their officers, in accordance to standing orders, will practice medicine without a license and cost the city a lot of money. They will surely revise their policy then.

Maybe it's just me, but this sentence on the next page is worrying: "Human beings can, and often do, live with only one good lung."

To me, it sounds like "Oh, did you do something wrong with the needle? No problem, they can just use the other one."

Overall though, it's disturbing.

Mr. Markel is a former United States Marine, Police Officer, and has worked as a professional bodyguard both in the U.S. and overseas. A Subject Matter Expert on Small Arms and Tactics, Markel has provided instruction to law enforcement and U.S. Military troops.

This gentleman giving advice on medical proceedures should carry just as much influence as me giving tactical ammunition suggestions.

• Like 3

Oh come on guys, it's not that hard. I hear they have an advanced airway class also. The training video is the episode of ER where Doug Ross uses a ball point pen to trach a kid in the middle of a flood.

Oh come on guys, it's not that hard. I hear they have an advanced airway class also. The training video is the episode of ER where Doug Ross uses a ball point pen to trach a kid in the middle of a flood.

That is a procedure he learned from watching M*A*S*H when Fr Mulcahey did it with Radar being squeamish beside him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.