And I wouldnt worry too much, most reputable employers will do a drug screen before hiring.

Yeah. I disagree with this, too. In my entire career to date all of my employers have been reputable organizations. They've been a mix of municipal and private services. Only one, just one, required a drug screen as a condition of hiring.

As much as we'd like to think we police our own profession for this, unless it's something like what the OP is dealing with, we don't do a good job of it.

Your institution should have policies in place to deal with these issues. As an instructor, I strongly advise that you refrain from discussing these kinds of issues on an open forum and work within your institutional framework. Good luck.

Your institution should have policies in place to deal with these issues. As an instructor, I strongly advise that you refrain from discussing these kinds of issues on an open forum and work within your institutional framework. Good luck.

For all you know your "sort of buddy" is on this forum and reading all our responses to your post and going to use this forum as evidence in his discrimination or unequal treatment lawsuit if you decide to do a drugtest on him.

I would be really careful who you discuss this issue with from here on out. CHBARE speaks truth.

While I do understand the OP's concern for their legal risk on both sides of this equation, I also would offer this opinion.

Drug abusers', whether wearing an EMS, Police, Fire, RN, MD, uniform or filthy rags of a homeless person are at their very core drug abusers. No more, no less.

Due to the "professional's" access to pain medicine, it makes for a very tempting environment to either steal or divert narcotics to themselves. News media of all forms are replete with seemingly countless examples of prescription med theft and instances of providers "diverting" or stealing narcotics through the practice of removing narcotic meds from vials and replacing it with 0.9% NaCL.

In the example offered by the author, it is apparently uncontested that the student has a drug problem.

From my perspective, the next time this person presents to class in an apparently intoxicated state, the instructor should contact security and have them removed from the class. Of course college policies must be adhered to implicitly. Once the student is removed from the classroom I would recommend insisting on a drug test to include hair analysis and a urine drug screen.

Be very careful in allowing someone you believe intoxicated to drive. You could be exposing yourself to liability. If they insist on driving, call law enforcement.

A policy containing the following would be helpful, along with requiring all students to sign a "Drug Free School" agreement.

If the students tests positive, they would then be required to produce a prescription validating the reason the substance was in their system. Those without a valid reason for being intoxicated with the substance would be given one opportunity to "come clean" about their drug use / abuse. Dishonest individuals must be discharged from the course for violation of the drug free school policy.

Honest students would be referred to the college version of he EAP for counseling and rehab services. Following completion of these services the student would be responsible for payment of periodic and unannounced drug screening to remain in the class. Any positive test would result in immediate dismissal from the program.

Remember, regardless of who they are, drug abusers are not rational when needing access to the substance of their desire. Normally professional individuals have and will do virtually anything to satisfy their desire for the substance they are addicted to. This includes stealing meds from cancer patients, stealing meds from anyone they can, including patients they encounter in the clinical environment. It is your job and your responsibility to protect the patients from these individuals at all costs.

Clinical Contracts / Agreements are precious to EMS Educators. If just one of your students is stupid enough or addicted enough to violate the trust afforded them by being allowed in this environment, it will be as if they opened Pandora's box. I promise you, if this happens, hell will pour out of it and your clinical agreements will vaporize overnight, and so will your career as an educator if you haven't shown "due diligence" in attempting to prevent the occurrence.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.