Children oxygen mask VS adult oxygen mask - difference in capacity?

Matthew99

I was wondering that because I saw a medic gives a children mask to an adult, who admittedly had a relatively small face. I was wondering whether he did right. Don't those masks have different capacities appropriate to certain ages, or is the choice purely based on the size of the person face? Personally, I thought the mask looked a bit too small on her face.

As long as the bag is full, they're still getting the same amount. If they're sucking the bag flat, then you have to up the intervention, or coach them to slow their breathing. There are a wide range of masks, with different purposes and abilities. But in terms of a general Non-rebreather, the difference between adult and child, is simply the size. No mask is equal, some are really large in adult, some barely fit in adult size.. Some child sizes are like toddler size, some are larger. Now and then, a mask will fit perfectly. I tend to use more nasal cannula's than masks, these days.

That's one of those "figure it out on your own" deals in EMS. Take your skills, and your education and use it to make the tools work.