Does anyone understand me here?

eCamp91

Is this field really what I want to do? Yes.

Is it my calling? Too many people over use that saying, I say it's what my heart desires.

Is it worth the pay? The pay is decent (I'm not in a position to complain since jobs are so scarse) for a young EMT with no family, no bills really, etc. but if I were a family man I wouldnt know how I would survive with one job in EMS.

I personally love EMS. I go to work and I enjoy it. Some people I know in EMS can't stand it because of all the transports and BS calls. I don't mind it, I figure if I transport or I get a 9-1-1 I will still try to impact that persons life even if it's just by acknowledging the patient by saying hello. I don't care! I love to work the events i.e Baseball game, because I interact with people and I see different illnesses than I would on the truck in a single day and I love it.

Just felt like letting my brain go. I really don't have anyone to talk to about EMS, no one understands me or how I could do it. Im sorry, I love helping people.

(no need for a reply, just felt like typing.)

• Like 1

Good attitude, every job has its quirks regardless how much you like it. I am a weeee bit curious, how long have you been an EMT?

I've been in EMS since 1971: Most days I still feel like that and still have the same fire in my belly as back then.

Now that being said, There are many aspects of EMS that I choose to no longer participate in.

I don't work 24's anymore,

I don't work in the hood anymore after spending 10 years in a very violent knife & gun club area.

I don't really get excited as I once did over a good or bad call.

It is a profession and a calling that takes a certain type of personality to remain in for any length of time.

I still enjoy meeting my customers and have learned so much from them over the years.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

it sounds like you have the passion to do the job. In my 33 years I alot of medics burn out because they did not have your attitude. keep going slow and enjoy every minute that you have, i thought it went fast in my case, before you know it you will be retired and doing other things. In my case I went into teaching to instruct EMT's and paramedics how to keep the positive attitude. keep up the good work

• Like 1

I've been in EMS since 1971

In my 33 years...

I've been in from the Fall of 1973. Obviously, between the 3 of us, we've seen and done a lot, and some of us can and will continue (body falling apart, can't lift anymore).

Little brother "eCamp91", just find a good balance between EMS and EMS related activities, and everything else. I'm one of them old farts who sometimes forgets one doesn't discuss an abdominal evisceration with colleagues, while eating at McDonald's, amongst other things, due to my (saying it in print for the first time!) thirty NINE years EMS involvement.

How many of those 'EMS burnouts' are guilty of making EMS their entire life (Live, eat, breathe and sleep EMS)? You know the type, EVERYTHING they own is marked in some way with SOMETHING EMS related (from ink pens to coffee cups to decals/stickers in the window of their POV, and lets not forget the ever popular EMT license plates!

As with anything in life, there must be a balance between EMS (or whatever career you're passionate about) and 'the rest of the stuff life offers.

• Like 2

I think everyone starts out that way, but then reality sets in. Sometimes I have the best job in the world, but sometimes I am very frustrated with patients and I think a career change may be in order. The positive attitude is great, but the frustrations will come. You will be aggravated by the people who buy cigarettes but won't pay for their kids medication. You will have people who fall out of bed and call 2-3 times a day for help getting back in. You will have people who are ungrateful or are rude. When you get frustrated or are feeling like you aren't making a difference you have to hold onto the good times and remember the patients who are appreciative.

Yesterday I was transporting a patient who I felt wasn't exactly friendly, but my nature is to kill them with kindness...so when we got to the ER after a 45 minute transport the patient thanked me for being so kind and putting her in a better mood. Those are the things you have to try and keep with you. They make the bad times a little less bad.

I think everyone starts out that way, but then reality sets in. Sometimes I have the best job in the world, but sometimes I am very frustrated with patients and I think a career change may be in order. The positive attitude is great, but the frustrations will come. You will be aggravated by the people who buy cigarettes but won't pay for their kids medication. You will have people who fall out of bed and call 2-3 times a day for help getting back in. You will have people who are ungrateful or are rude. When you get frustrated or are feeling like you aren't making a difference you have to hold onto the good times and remember the patients who are appreciative.

Yesterday I was transporting a patient who I felt wasn't exactly friendly, but my nature is to kill them with kindness...so when we got to the ER after a 45 minute transport the patient thanked me for being so kind and putting her in a better mood. Those are the things you have to try and keep with you. They make the bad times a little less bad.

Let's not forget the drug seeking frequent flyer, who's been in your company's trucks so often, that they can tell you how to fill out your paperwork (and know all the 'right things to put on the line for "Reason For Call" so that medicare/medicaid will pay for it).

Then there's the ones that no matter what you can do (either by patient condition or limited by scope of practice) it will NEVER bee enough, good enough or they'll try to twist it into some form of malpractice, and won't be satisfied until you're castrated and they're using your 'parts' as earrings!

Then you have the 'adrenaline junkies' that would NEVER be caught dead doing any of those 'routine IFT's, simply because it's beneath them do do it).

No, EMS isn't always blood, guts and glory; but if you spend any serious amount of time in the field, you'll be surprised at how a simple "Thank you" can send you off to that 'feel good place'...

Edited by Lone Star