Judge Expected to Reject World Trade Center 9/11 Steel Cross Complaint

News

Lawyers claim cross tells a story of rescue and recovery.

APSept11Cross.jpg

In this July 23, 2012 photo, World Trade Center construction workers hold hands during a prayer at a ceremony for the September 11 cross, in New York. A judge should toss out a lawsuit by a national atheists group seeking to stop display of the cross-shaped steel beam found among trade center wreckage, lawyers for the operators of the Sept. 11 memorial at ground zero say. The lawyers said in papers filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan on Monday, Aug. 13, 2012 that the 17-foot-tall beam will be displayed as a historical object because it tells part of the story of the Sept. 11, 2001, rescue and recovery effort. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)

TXdUxNjKR08

View the full article

As an atheist, I find this lawsuit completely ridiculous. It was part of the building and part of the story and recovery. It has a different meaning to everyone who sees it so don't put your atheistic views on others who place a religious belief on it. Doing so is just being as intolerant as those who attacked the towers. No one is making you pray before the beams or forcing you to believe they are a sign from some god.

I do hate frivolous lawsuits and this is indeed one but for a different reason.

1. This is not a government or tax supported museum. It is private. Therefore, they can display whatever they want.

Right there, that ends any objection I may have held about 2 cross beams being...well, umm cross beams. :) The ignorance alone in seeing anything else is silly, but whatever, it is a private collection...so carry on.

To all, I find no religious symbolism in these two beams of metal at all. You all know my religious views but I have not felt that this cross is a religious item since it was shown way back when. Many religious people may find my thoughts wrong but I don't feel that it's a religious item at all.

to me it's a symbol of the building of what can be left standing and what isn't left standing. If this piece of metal was shaped in the form of a menorah would the atheists be trying to keep it out of the museum? If it was in the shape of a star of david would they be doing the same? If it was in any shape other than the shape of a cross would we even be discussing this?? I hazard to think that we would not be.

Feel free to disagree with me but I don't think that we would be discussing this if it was in any shape other than a cross.

It's a private museum so like AK says, it's private so there is no case. Now if the government were supporting this with our tax dollars then we'd be discussing a different tangent.

LIke AK, I'm done. Carry on with your day.

Actually, the state of NY gave an $80 million dollar grant and a large portion comes from federal grants through the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. I also believe that the Port Authority has something to do with the construction.

oh, didn't know that. well that puts a different spin on it. But it's still not supported by tax dollars. It's a private museum right? Maybe those who follow these things closer can give a different and more legal perspective.

But I think that the grants are just for construction. It's after the fact that I think is what counts maybe.

Since no taxes will support the museum after it opens then it's a moot point.

honestly, this saddens me that they want to get rid of this cross that obviously means a lot to the rescuers and many other people. No one is forcing anyone to bow down to pray to the cross or to like you said Doc, to pray to what god that the cross represents.

I don't think that the museum will require anyone when they get to the cross to say a prayer. All you need to do is walk on by.

Are there other religions represented in this museum? Do we have other faiths that are being represented to any extent? I have not kept up on what this museum will be like and what it will house. I do plan on going to it some day when I am employed again. So I will just have to learn about what's in the museum from trusted online sources.

BUT... if there are other religions that are represented in this museum and the atheists are suing to just get the cross out of the building then of course we know what the true agenda of these particular plaintiff's is.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

Even if the entire thing was supported by tax dollars, I would still see no issue with having the cross a part of the memorial. It is part of what happened. To me, it would be like trying to have a holocaust museum with mentioning people being Jewish. I cannot answer your question about other religions being represented, but just like with Christianity, Islam, etc, there are extremist/militant atheists and I assume it is these kinds that make up the plaintiffs.

From a human psychology point of view, I find it interesting that people are amazed that a cross remained after the collapse. You have two huge buildings make up of thousands of cross beams. I would be more surprised if they DID NOT find a cross in the rubble.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.