A-EMT Clinical Requirements

emt2359

Hi there,

I am in an instructor work-group to find out what other EMS instructors are requiring for clinical rotations at the Advanced EMT level. I would also be interested in any type of documentation that you have on this subject.

I have Googled the subject with limited results.

You help is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Hi there,

I am in an instructor work-group to find out what other EMS instructors are requiring for clinical rotations at the Advanced EMT level. I would also be interested in any type of documentation that you have on this subject.

I have Googled the subject with limited results.

You help is greatly appreciated.

Well, our state has very little to require in the name of hours. It has gone to a competency based model...wich is ripe for abuse IMHO. It does set some clinical requiremnts, just not in the way of time. To paraphrase, It does require:

15 admistrations of medications

20 patents ventilated

25 IV sticks

Yeah, I know...not a lot.

I am teaching the AEMT course at out local CC, it is about 220 hours long, and this is what I came up with...

2 12-hour rotations with RT on the floor and in the CCU to get the ventilations, and to get exposure to trach care and nebs.

2 12-hour rotations with the local ED's to get everything

2 12 hour rotations with EMS to get everything

I also require, in addition to the "clincial rotation evaluation form" for every rotation at least two completeded SOAP charts per rotation.

Honestly, next class I will require more. Also , 220 hours didactic is a lot tighter than I anticipated, surprisingly. Although I know some people doing a lot less as well. I will probably redue the class closer to the 250-275 hour mark.

Any future classes are on hold however, Due to some factors beyond our control, our normal clinical locations have stopped accepting students over the summer and possible the fall. I wish we had known that prior to starting the class ... ;(

Anyway, until I have the clinical component completely locked down, the discussion is purely academic (pun intended). I am telling you so that you can learn from our mistep.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Steve

Edited by croaker260

Thanks for the quick reply. I does help.

It also confirms my suspicions that "competency based" is going to vary from state to state and from program to program. As antiquated as the old "standard" was, it did set the bar for the lowest denominator. Now the bar is set at the next staff meeting and budget review.

Has anyone out there required a "Community Service" rotation? Have the student do 4 hours at a local soup kitchen and report on it?

No, but as a trial, I did require both a class thesus and an extra credit paper. the extra credit paper was on the students choice of one of 5 books. These books are non-EMS specific (though a few of them are medical). The paper has to address how reading these book(s) made the student a better provider.

The books are:

1- On Combat, The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace [Paperback] by Dave Grossman and Loren W. Christensen

Publication Date: October 1, 2008 | ISBN-10: 0964920549 | ISBN-13: 978-0964920545 | Edition: 3rd

2- How Doctors Think [Paperback] by Jerome Groopman Publication Date: March 19, 2007 | ISBN-10: 0618610030 | ISBN-13: 978-0618610037 | Edition: 1st

3- The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right [Paperback]

Atul Gawande Publication Date: March 19, 2007 | ISBN-10: 0618610030 | ISBN-13: 978-0618610037 | Edition: 1st

4- If I Knew Then: Life Lessons From Cops on the Street by Dan Marcou and Brian Willis Publication Date: May 9, 2011

5- The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals that Protect Us From Violence [Paperback]

Gavin de Becker

6- Shock-Trauma Jon Franklin and , Alan Doelp

Publication date: 1980 | ISBN-10: 0312717415 | ISBN-13: 978-0312717414