Not sure how to feel about this.

DFIB

It would be nice if more of the public was aware of our role, but only in the context of increasing their awareness of what is appropriate and what is not appropriate in emergency situations.

The public thanks or glory means less than nothing. It embarrasses and confuses me.

More important to me is the look of relief in the eyes of patients and their loved ones when I show up and do my job. The scared patient that relaxes in my rig, cries tears of relief and grabs my hand means more to me than any freaking stupid EMS day. The respect of knowledgeable peers is more meaningful than any publicity mill bullshit.

I am quite OK being the bastard stepchild. It allows me to do my job out of the glare of the spotlight and protects my already ego driven soul from a slippery slope.

• Like 4

I'm curious why you were reading an online women's magazine. :whistle:

Wouldn't you like to know!!!

This artical is so very true. One thing I have noticed in my community is that they are thanking myself and my crew. It is very weird to say the least...............

I went to a house party last week and saw a friend I hadn't seen in while and even before I could say hello, she piped up and said "I could never do what you do and thankyou for being able to do it" A little surprised I asked what she was talking about. I had had a full cardiac arrest on the fishing docks here and I guess she wittnessed what we do. Funniest thing I remember maybe 5 people at the dock and apperently there were alot more that that.

I really am a truly lucky person to have the community realize what I have sacrificed over the years to be there for them and their families. I love this job and I love my community. I also have to up most respect for teachers as I would have to kill all the children...........;)

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

When I was a volunteer, I would get told (fairly often) "Thank You" for my service. Since I was volunteering my time, I graciously accepted it.

When I became a paid provider and someone thanked me, I felt uncomfortable in my own skin. Why should I expect thanks for doing a job I was hired to do just for doing it?

I have gotten past that now and if I am thanked, then I presume it is because i have gone above and beyond the expectations of the job and accept it, again, graciously. And, hugs are always welcome!

• Like 1

Hugs are the BEST coin of payment as far as satisfaction goes at my job. A hug says more than any words! It means I did well and made a difference for that person.

Love it.

As far as accepting thanks, the truth is that not everyone does what we do, or is capable of doing what we do. Does that mean we need a big head about it? Nah. But it is OK to accept the thanks. It may be "just our job" to us, but it's a foreign, scary world to many others.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

More important to me is the look of relief in the eyes of patients and their loved ones when I show up and do my job. The scared patient that relaxes in my rig, cries tears of relief and grabs my hand means more to me than any freaking stupid EMS day. The respect of knowledgeable peers is more meaningful than any publicity mill bullshit.

Wish I could "like" this ten more times. I don't mind being thanked by the patient or the patients family AFTER a 911 call of course. I simply don't think people should feel obligated to do that sort of thing. I mean, I thank my pizza delivery guy if he gets my order here on time and doesn't give me the wrong stuff. Let the fire fighters and such have the public acclaim. A giant apartment building fully involved is a better photo op than a 5 year old having an allergic reaction to a bee sting at an early afternoon picnic. Despite that I think I was hugged by about 18 people after the anaphylaxis call. The child had been stung before but had no reaction, presented with urticaria and airway swelling, family in town for the weekend and everyone flipping out. Anyway, family had no epi pen but thankfully we keep 2 adults and 2 juniors in the rigs. Epi and transport. Kid was ok and the family was turning the ER waiting room into a carnival. Admittedly I enjoyed that. I'm a sucker for happy endings. Random people approaching me and thanking me, people I've never treated and whose families I've never treated? That's a little creepy to be honest. Maybe I bought this shirt at a garage sale, maybe I'm the worst emt ever and I kill half my patients through dumb mistakes, these people don't know me. Just my opinion.

Patients I treat who leave my rig better than when they came in= Excellent

Families being happy, saying thanks, hugs etc.=cool.

Random people I've never seen thanking me= pointless and a little odd. I originally typed insincere but that's not necessarily true. They might sincerely believe I need the boost to my self esteem or something. My self esteem is doing ok right now, thanks.

Postscript: Spellcheck insists that anaphylaxis is not a word. It recognizes urticaria as a word though. You're so weird spellcheck :P

Man, I loved everything about that article and the spirit that it seemed to be written in. She's simply expressing the sentiment that many of us have expressed here before.

The only shocking thing about it to me, at least at first when I compared the title to the picture, was the the picture wasn't of a fireman. And I think having that initial thought validates the content of her article.

I've never been thanked for being a paramedic by someone that I'd not cared for, for the exact reason that she mentions. Because I didn't show up in a fire truck, no knows exactly what the hell it is that I do. They know I do medicine on accidents while helping the fire dept, but if I'm on my own without a fire truck, can I actually do anything? (speaking of the looks that I'd get in the store etc, while in uniform.)

I've been hugged by many patients, of many nationalities, from all over, and it's never struck me as strange at all. It seemed like a natural conclusion to the treatment. I choose to put my heart into treatment and people normally, I think, want to touch and hug when they feel a lack of barriers.

Do I accept thank yous graciously? Yeah, of course. I'd accept it if I'd stopped to change their tire on the side of the road, helped to carry groceries, and I'm certainly going to accept it from someone who's hand I've held while they were scared. Do I deserve it for being special? No, but they want to give it as it helps them believe that we're both special.

It made me, not emotional, but I know what you're saying DFIB, it felt really good. The whole article had a great energy to it I think...

Kaisu mentions an ego driven slippery slope. I think that we sometimes bounce back and forth between, "What the hell? It's not only firemen out there! We work here too!" And "Attention and thanks? I don't need that shit! I'm a medical purist that chooses to do what I do in a vacuum!"

I'm calling bullshit on both extreme views, and for myself am saying....fuck yeah. That article felt really good, I'm glad it was written, I think it was productive and I'm going to have a better day for being one that participates in the occupation described.

Meredith....You're welcome.

Dwayne

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great article.

I am happy getting a "Thank You" from our patients, although I don't expect it. If I ever get a hug, I'm not sure how I would handle it.

I just love what I do, and hope when I retire from my regular job, I can devote much more to being an EMT.