Do you know what to do?

DFIB

The city of Houston has invested $200,000 from a Homeland Security Grant to make a Public Service Announcement instructional of what to when caught up in a Active Shooter Event. It kind of reminds me of the cold war Nuclear Bomb threat PSA films. The video is a great idea.

When are they going to make one for the Zombie Apocalypse?

Edited by DFIB

When are they going to make one for the Zombie Apocalypse?

On it! This is an absolutely spectacular idea and I endorse it wholeheartedly.

Speaking of knowing what to do.

I know guys in STL have soft body armor in their rigs. I have my own giving my former profession and its fitted to me, I'm comfortable in it.

Here is my question. Do you guys think my employer would want me to remove my mag pouches? I'm also assuming guys wouldnt be allowed to carry their personal fire arms for insurance reasons, even if they were concealed. I understand the scene safety, and using the cops as ensuring safety, but cops are complacent, and what happens when they become the victims?

I'm not a gun nut, I just have on and carry it. I would understand them telling me I cant.

I would think that guns in the ambulance would be a major violation in most services. Everyone I know (that carry) leaves their gun it their personal vehicle while at work.

You might could dress up your vest with reflective tape and a star of life and tell your boss the pouches are for EMS gear. I bet they would really go for that.

As a general rule visible outside the clothes tactical vest cause a normal reaction in the perp to shoot for the head because it is visibly unprotected. A "under the shirt" vest would be better I think.

Mentioning that 1) FDNY EMS, on a one time only basis, issued "Soft Body Armour" to all who wanted one, 2) If you didn't want a vest, you were asked to sign a paper indicating you wouldn't hold the department at fault if you got shot. 3) At personal expense ($90.00), one could purchase an "over the uniform" carrier (I did).

Re fire arms: 2 things not to be on department grounds, or in company vehicles, were alcoholic beverages and fire arms, per written protocols.

Reminder: Due to the existance, outside of military and LEO arsenals, of "Black Talon" "Cop Killer" bullets that penetrate the heaviest body armour, NO vest is truly "Bulletproof".

Actually, Richard, Black Talon and "Cop Killer" bullets are at opposite ends of the ballistics spectrum. Black Talons are designed to transfer maximum energy to the target, they do this by mushrooming in a way that creates six or so small, razor sharp points to cut into flesh and bone. The more mushrooming capacity a bullet has, the less likely it is to penetrate body armour. It transmits the bulk of the energy to the first thing it hits.

Teflon coated bullets, on the other hand, like military-grade jacketed ammunition is designed to pierce armour. It is designed to keep its ballistic energy and trajectory despite having encountered resistance.

It is interesting that they call them "cop killer" bullets. A Google search indicates that a LE officer has never been killed with an armor piercing round in the USA.

You can see for yourself the difference in the tips of the bullets.

Picture254.jpg

11ltt1h.jpg

That kind of what I was expecting to see, but I wanted to see it from guys in the field. Thanks for the feedback. I've already changed a couple patches from my old job over the velco "medic" patch, and I was thinking about having the large velco medic one placed on the back.

Good call on the soft body armor. I've worn that a couple times in different spots. It can be comfortable also.

As for the ballistics talk. Yes those ones mushroom and slice through things. All while a simple .22 round will tumble through the body and do some other serious damage. Hard body armor (plates) can also create the tumbling issue cause the bullet to ricochet between the plates and never really exit the body.

Once again thanks for the info guys. First day of class is 27 Aug. Who has two thumbs and is pumped? This guy!!

As a general rule visible outside the clothes tactical vest cause a normal reaction in the perp to shoot for the head because it is visibly unprotected. A "under the shirt" vest would be better I think.

This external vest makes it look like it's actually a shirt. I've seen these often and have to look twice to recognise it as such.