Saudi EMS Opinions

You've made six posts total on this fourm. Your posts here in this discussion deal with taking a job in a known Muslim country. The point you chose to emphasize for not taking the job was alcohol. Of all the other things you could've talked about you chose booze. It is not a far leap for one to think that if this is the biggest concern for you, as evidenced by the fact that you singled this point out, then you might have a problem.

Perhaps alcohol isn't your problem. It might not be. However, your comments outlining your blantant cultural insensitivies might be.

Lastly, be very careful with whom you choose to throw around that "freedoms that I (and many before me) fought for" line of self righteousness. How do you know Island isn't one of those vets who came before you?

Mike, could you elaborate on what my total post count has to do with anything? Yes, I am a "rookie" to this forum but I am not a rookie to life or to knowing that questioning someones character at the drop of a hat is a poor way to handle yourself. There was a misunderstanding when it came to my comment but not enough of a misunderstanding to bring it to the level that Island did. I simply came to this forum to learn more about EMS in other parts of the world and I have done that thanks people like yourself and Island taking the time to spread their knowledge. For that, I thank you both. But neither of you have any ground to stand on when it comes to claims of alcoholism or cultural insensitivity. I have made no insensitive claims to any person, group, or culture in any of my 6 posts and have no intention of doing so in the future. I enjoy learning from other cultures and finding better ways to live life through what they teach. Though, I don't always agree with some aspects of different ways of life, maybe even to the point of me not wanting spend a significant amount of time in that culture, I still respect them and how they choose to make their way in this world. Lastly, being proud of what I have done for my country harldy makes me self righteous. I make sure to mention that others before (and after) me have sacrificed much more than I ever had to, which in itself makes your self righteousness claim invalid. If Island did serve before me then I commend him. If he didn't serve at all I still don't judge because I haven't walked in his shoes. But I do know that self righteous is much more fitting to what Island and yourself have presented in your last couple holier than though posts. Perhaps you two should look in the mirror before throwing out questionable and unfounded accusations. With that being said, I look forward to future interactions with you guys if you feel you can put this whole misunderstanding behind you. If not, and the only thing you feel you can bring to a conversation is mudslinging then quite honestly I have no desire to hear from either of you again. Be safe out there

Thanks for the info guys. The more I find out, the more I'm thinking Saudi isn't the place for me. I mean no beer allowed? That's crazy in itself

<----Sarcasm Detected

If alcohol is that important to you ::: you might have a problem

<----Sarcasm Detected

to imply someone may be an alcoholic based off of that is both irresponsible and closeminded on your part.

<----No Sarcasm Detected, but holy defensive Batman!!!!

Seems to me that this is a case of "If you can't take it, then don't dish it out."

I guess I need to emphasize that my decisision is not solely based off of alcohol availablitly. Perhaps the slight hint of sarcasm around that last statement was hard for you to pick up via forum post, Island. But just the same, to imply someone may be an alcoholic based off of that is both irresponsible and closeminded on your part. I do enjoy a good beer from time to time. It helps remind me about the tasty freedoms that I (and many before me) fought for. Thank you for your concern but perhaps those at the AA forums would better receive your pearls of wisdom

Monsta: I did not even begin to imply that you were a drunk or alcoholic. If thats what I though then you would have known.

What I was pointing out was: If your decision to not accept a position is based on [in your words] "The more I find out, the more I'm thinking Saudi isn't the place for me. I mean no beer allowed? That's crazy in itself" based on the fact that alcohol is not available in the country . then maybe you need to expand your horizons and learn more about the various cultures of the world. The fact that you got your panties in a bunch over a simple comment about alcohol use, might be a clue!

Yes I am a Veteran; I had the pleasure of serving in uncle sams nuclear canoe club from early 1973 through 1985. I did my time and paid my dues.

I don't take anyones service to our country lightly.

No mudslinging. No holier than thou comments. No real comprehension of what I wrote. Seems there's some communication issues that need to be worked out here. You need to learn how to communicate better and without getting so defensive. You need to help by doing a better job at indicating when you're being sarcastic/funny. We need to learn when you're joking or being sarcastic. That part will be made easier by you being less defensive.

Kat's post, I think, highlights everything well especially with the observation of the defensiveness displayed. A defensiveness that has carried through in your reply to me. I'm not so sure why your immediate response requires you to get so defensive. I'm sure there's a reason, though.

Post count is tied directly to the responses you've received and the responses you've made. You don't know us well enough to joke without some indication that you're being sarcastic or attempting to be funny. You obviously don't know us well enough to recognize the sarcasm posted in reply.

And you completely missed my point about military service.

i don't get the "tastier freedoms" comment.... you were in the military so more people could eat snacks or something?

i don't get the "tastier freedoms" comment.... you were in the military so more people could eat snacks or something?

I kind of prefer a couple of oreos and some milk. Maybe some chips ahoy as well.

It seems there is some aggreeance among the posters that I may have jumped to a defensive stance a bit hastily. Though, I don't fully agree with this assessment, I do acknowledge that my view on something isn't always the correct one. I took your comment as shot at my character, Island, which is something I'll defend fiercly. I apologize to anybody I may have unknowingly rubbed the wrong way. Consider panties officially unbunched. Oh, and Oreos over Chips Ahoy any day of the week, Captain

• Like 1

There, now that the group hug is all over with. I thought that the expats working in Saudi also lived on compounds whre the rules are a bit more relaxed. ie, women didn't have to wear hijabs, one could drink certain alcohol, etc.

From what I gathered by surfing around the net, even if you live on one of those compounds things are still fairly strict to muslim law. The dress code may be a bit more casual but not by much, especially for women. With that being said, I've talked to a couple guys who really enjoy it out there with their families.One guy even compared the compound he and his family stayed on to living in San Diego. Not too shabby sounding to me

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.