Rural Fire department volunteer or paid

How does the fire department in your rural area work is it volunteer or payed. Mine is volunteer and after you join your on 90 probation before they give you all your equipment and let you officially respond to calls

We're all volunteers out here. Very few but we're still holding out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a newbie member of EMT City and I am in a rural community located in the Siskiyou Mtns of Southern Oregon. We are all volunteers with a token wage of 15.00 per transport and 3.00 for meetings, training sessions, and non-transports. Fire dept is volunteer with 3.00 token wage for each call and training/meetings. We have 7 EMT-B, 1- Intermediate, 2 First Responders on the ambulance side. Our call volume has increased approx 10% over the last year.

Thanks

FD is pure voluteer, all area EMS is paid, from minimum wage to around $8/hr

WOW GLAD I DONT WORK FOR YOUR COMPANY

8 dollars an hour is just over minimum wage anyway

even with the exchange rate that is about 10 hr here

im on 25 a hour and am by no means on the 'top' money that some guys can get.

stay safe

• 3 weeks later...

Here in the panhandle of Florida, the county that I live in is a paid-on-call department. I think it is like $25 a call and you receive a lump sum check at the end of the fiscal year. Doesn't matter if you respond to a MVC and spend 20 minutes on scene directing traffic or spend 8 hours on a structure. It all pays the same.

Chris

8 dollars an hour is just over minimum wage anyway

It is over fifty percent greater than minimum wage.

And in this country, we don't have to give sixty-five percent back to the government in taxes.

• 1 month later...

It is over fifty percent greater than minimum wage.

And in this country, we don't have to give sixty-five percent back to the government in taxes.

Dust lets see......

50 % over minimum, with those calculations that means minimum wage id around 6 dollars an hour

so it is 2 dlooars an hour over that.

thats about about a gallon and a half of gas isnt it?

big difference.......

and for your information we dont have 65% taxes here.. the most anyone can pay in taxes is 46% (46 cents in the dollar) and that would mean you would be earning over 100K per year (take it from me I know).

stay safe

Work fulltime for (2) county services one district and one hospital based. Both are fulltime ALS mostly running Paramedic/EMT but sometimes ie tonight Paramedic/Paramedic which is nice.

District is 24/72 and hospital is 36 hours straight (start at 7p and end 36 hours later). Not bad money both are over 12.00 per hour plus all your shift differentials (usually average $14 per hour at the hospital and anything over 40 hours at the district is OT) When we can't find a medic to work ,which is quite frequent they pay $30hour for entire 24 hour shift. I do this so the wife can stay home and raise the youngins. Also do the all american thing by volunteerin at the local VFD.(Very rare though)

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.