Rural Fire department volunteer or paid

80+ full time members serving the 4th largest city in NH. 24 hr shifts. Fire and EMS is one, running one of the busiest and most respected EMS systems in NH, 1 of 7 Fire Dept based EMS systems, and 1 of 2 in New England with CAAS. 6 Medics cover Derry, and two smaller towns with a total of approx 50,000 residents. (over 40,000 being in Derry, the remaining split between auburn and chester). There are 4 Battalions for a shedule of 24 on 72 off. There are four stations (ground breaking for fifth station beginning spring '07) that are manned full time 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week with a minimum of 22 members, at least 8 of which are medics. All members are required to have the maximum FF training offered by the state, and all new recruits will not be considered without at least FF2/EMT-I, but they will generally not hire candidates without Medic Cert (The last hire they did, 5 were hired, 4 FF/Medics, 1 FF/EMT-I). On shift at all times there is at minimum - Headquaters - Batallion Chief, Engine 1 - Officer(LT or CAPT)/EMT, FF/EMT, FF/Medic, Medic 1 - FF/Medic, FF/EMT-I, TAC 1 - FF/Medic, FF/EMT-I (Primarily respond on Medic 6, but are also responsible for Truck 1, Rescue 1/Heavy Rescue Unit, Tank 1, or Forestry 1, whichever is needed) Station 2 - Engine 2 and Medic 2 - Officer/EMT, FF/EMT-I, FF/Medic. Station 3 - Engine 3 and Medic 3 - Officer/EMT, FF/EMT-I, FF/Medic. Station 4 - Engine 4 - Officer/EMT, 2 FF/EMT-I's, FF/Medic, Medic 4 - FF/Medic, FF/EMT-I. TAC 4 - FF/Medic, FF/EMT-I (Responsible for Medic 5, Rescue 2, Tank 2 which ever is needed) This is done so that every apparatus that responds to any call will be capable of ALS, From the Primary Medic Unit to the Forestry Unit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

One (1) County (530 sq miles, pop. Approx 17,000)

Four (4) Fire Departments

One (1) Rescue Squad (EMS)

ALL VOLUNTEER...and fighting to keep it that way.

In a whole years time, we dropped only 1 call (which is still very unacceptable) due to manpower issues :x

That's not taking into consideration the Ambulance Service, and other EMS components in the county, of course.

Fighting to keep it all volunteer. Thanks for lowering all of our salaries. You're such a hero.

You're truly welcome. Later on, I'll hold a class on sarcasm, if anyone's interested. No CEU credits, however :x

Incidently, the "elements" I spoke of that are pushing for Part-Paid are doing so for ALL THE WRONG REASONS. I'm a career Paramedic myself, and I agree with the majority here @ the City, insofar as making EMS a recognized profession. Our county has a truly unique situation on our hands. If you care to hear our story, then I'd be happy to share it with you. THEN AND ONLY THEN may you plunge your hooks in my back.

I don't consider myself a hero. Nor do any of the volunteer Basics, Intermediates, Paramedics that staff the agency in question. Many of them are Career Firefighters, Medics, EMTs, Attorneys, even some Physicians.

My reasons for volunteer continuity aren't sundry things like PRIDE, getting to wear a "cool" badge or patch, or using a strobe/LED light on my pov. These are childish considerations. There's alot more at stake here.

I'm not going to turn this thread into a "Fight for Volunteerism" battle. That's been done on this forum way too many times. People have their reasons to hate Vollies, and others have reasons to support volunteerism in EMS.

To Be Continued

You know, I'm sure you have your reasons for saying your volunteer department is different. How you're the ones who are doing it for the right reasons, and how its everyone else is the problem. But you know what? That's what each and every volunteer department in existence says. Someone along the lines, somewhere, is wrong.

Fighting to keep it all volunteer. Thanks for lowering all of our salaries. You're such a hero.

=D>

From Canada...I agree!

Not only just the money issue, but volleys are held to a lower standard of education *prepares to be attacked*. Ya Ya argue all you want, I am sure "your" dept. is different.

I am surrounded by volleys, great people... poor professionals. We just started getting paid decent on-call wages in our EMS system so we can attract people to our remote area instead of forcing locals to be volunteers or our ambulances will be pulled. Fire should take notes.

That's what each and every volunteer department in existence says. Someone along the lines, somewhere, is wrong.

I was waiting for this. I'm not going to say why my agency is different. I'm sure many other agencies have similar issues.

I'm going to create a thread for this issue, even though it's been done before, since this thread isn't appropriate.. If interested, I'll see you there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.