Was behavior appropriate?

EMT-B 55

Note: I stopped reading your post just at the part where you stated, "One of my co-workers was a neighbor to this lady. He told me that may attending the visitation was inappropriate because I was not family, a neighbor or a friend." Nor have I read any of the other responses (at this point). All I have to say is...

HOGWASH!

'nough said.

Toni

I missed the coworker was a neighbor. Did the "good neighbor" attend visitation?

Hogwash, such a good Texas word! It is right up there with poppycock, horsefeathers and balderdash.

Edited by DFIB

I don't see the significance of the coworker being a neighbor?

Well, I would assume that the coworker would at least know the diseased well enough to know she was her neighbor and that she was dead, and was dumping on the OP after failing to show empathy to their neighbor. I might be assuming too much.

I believe the implication to the OP was that because the jackass was also a neighbour, that said jackass felt he had the authority to speak for the family because he knew the deceased better by virtue of living near him.

Your coworker is a moron that needs have realize his position in life.

As a person that isnt a medic yet, I think you're squared away. Go to as many as you need to. I have no pipe dream of being an emotional void in my future as a medic. I've treated people on the battlefield, I didnt know but the loss still affected me.

Also, why wouldnt the family appreciate you showing it. It proved she wasnt just a number or a PT, she was a human.

• 1 month later...

I also see no issues with you having attend the funeral of a long time pt. I work in long term care, we often attend funerals of those that we've cared for. I've only attended one funeral of the people that have been a pt of mine on an ambulance and that was one of my husband's best friends. I

If you felt it was appropriate, then it was. It's not as though you go to every funeral of every pt that's ever been in your care and sob uncontrollably. The other guy's an asshat.