Okay here is another question. What about children. Normally our equipment is geared for adults, how do you use a board for a child (with spider straps) or do you use the KED along with a board, or do you use the KED with a Clam shell.

To be honest and knock on wood, I have had one child in 15 years that required a spinal. I used the KED then put on the board and padded the hell out of everything so that he didn't slide on the board.

So what does eveyone else do to modify adult equipment to be used with kids?

I just use the KED with kids. It does a great job and tends to be more comfortable than a board in my experience. The way it wraps actually seems to help calm them.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I'm with you Rock.

As a sidenote, in Sask, when I used to KED someone they did not get boarded.

Just put on the KED and lay them on the cot.

As a third note... I have used a KED with no board for people who cannot tolerate lying down in this province (Ab), and have never been drug over the coals. Perhaps we just need a few more cowboys to break the mold and make the medical directors ask questions?

I'm with you Rock.

As a third note... I have used a KED with no board for people who cannot tolerate lying down in this province (Ab), and have never been drug over the coals. Perhaps we just need a few more cowboys to break the mold and make the medical directors ask questions?

Cowboys are awsome:)

I happen to use the KED when ever possible, but it should be noted for new medic's, that here at least in BC it is to be used on stable pts only.

I honestly can not remember the last time I have used a back board, but it is common practice for First aiders that work in the bush to use them when loggers get hurt and bring them to us by heli.

Now that I said that ;)

Okay here is another question. What about children. Normally our equipment is geared for adults, how do you use a board for a child (with spider straps) or do you use the KED along with a board, or do you use the KED with a Clam shell.

To be honest and knock on wood, I have had one child in 15 years that required a spinal. I used the KED then put on the board and padded the hell out of everything so that he didn't slide on the board.

So what does eveyone else do to modify adult equipment to be used with kids?

You can use the adult spine board, or the KED. We have the Pediatric Immobilization Device, which is all right but only works within a certain height/weight range.

I once put a fourteen month old in a short vacuum splint.

I'm with you Rock.

I've used a KED without a board too. It's good for those patients who are nauseous/vomiting who you really don't want to lay flat.

I never used a spine-board or KED outside of the classroom, since none of the services I worked for so far had one of these devices (except a station I did some shifts with while playing sick leave cover, but didn`t have a call in which either was required).

Vaccuum matress and scoop-stretcher does seem to be the better devices, though, from what I can tell, in regards to real immobilisation and patient comfort as well.

Seeing as to how you`d need to use random tools like towels or BP cuffs to fill voids while using the spine-board to make the patient comfortable and to acchieve some kind of immobilisation - well, let`s just say, if you alwyays need to improvise with a device, because you can`t run it properly otherwise, in my book that just sounds like it isn`t really thought through in the first place!

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

OK, I'm convinced now that my non-usage of a spineboard is "good medicine". :)

But to convince some of my gung-ho brothers and sisters who think we should use the "new" stuff all the time (spineboards are new here, I grew up with vacuum matresses) I would need a reference for padding a spineboard or properly securing it for transport using blankets and all that. Just to proof how it should be done if it's done - and then to explain that a vacuum matress can do the job better and quicker.

Is there any EMS book describing this padding and securing in detail? Or don't they address this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.