Hiya

JohnInBoston

Been following this site for a couple years. I'd been interested in being an EMT for well over a decade but was either too busy or too scared to try making a move to this profession.

I'm just about to finish this three month intensive course next week for EMT-B. Still have the final Practical & Written, then it'll be off to take the State Exam first week in September. Supposedly the courses' finals are much harder than the states, so hopefully I can pass those two. Feeling pretty confident with the Practical, Written...not so much. Damn Cardio subjects.

Been an exhausting process and a ton of learning. Test-wise, Anatomy nearly killed me since I'd never taken any med-related classes in my life. PT. Assessment took a little bit, but just about have it down pat even if history taking is still touch and go trying to to change from OB/GYN-Medical-Trauma and the subtle differences between the three situations. Excelled at Medical Emergencies and Trauma as well as Splinting/Traction materials. Thankfully they have the Practical Exam grading guidelines posted so that's a big help IMO. Now to find a practice test for the Written Exam.

Anybody in Boston have any experience finding a job after your EMT-B certification stuff is finished? I don't know how difficult it is to even get a job as an EMT-B or what it involves. I'm interested being in a pre-hospital setting but also very curious how EMT-Bs get jobs in an ER, which I've yet to find much information about or even what they're called to look up requirements. Maybe down the road I'll look into training for a Dispatcher job, but that'll have to wait.

• Like 1

Welcome to the city! Like I tell every new comer, you will definitely get your questions answer here real quick. Seem like you are very confident in your EMT-B skills. The state test was the most easiest test for me when I went

thru the program. I was literally in shock on how easy it was. I guess they make the quizzes and test in the program harder so you can do better in the state, who knows. As far as finding information for work in Boston. Just post something and I'm sure people will reply. Well welcome again, can't wait to read what you have to say! CIAO

Denny

Welcome to the forum! I have no experience in the Boston are but wish you the very best. There are some threads here that address the NREMT test specifically. They might be helpful if you are required to take NREMT.

Regardless, there are some crazy smart providers here that have helped me as I continue through school. None of the posters will be able to volunteer information by reading your mind so feel free to jump into the mix and see what happens!

Welcome John,

Welcome to the boards, great place for a lot of information and of course opinions.

Welcome. I only have a few questions for you.

I don't know how difficult it is to even get a job as an EMT-B or what it involves.

You don't know what is involved with what? Getting a job? Working as an EMT?

The downside here is that EMTs are a dime a dozen. Getting a job should be relatively easy. Getting a job that you will want or will be able to keep for more than a few weeks will be the challenge. Do your research carefully.

I'm interested being in a pre-hospital setting but also very curious how EMT-Bs get jobs in an ER, which I've yet to find much information about or even what they're called to look up requirements.

Prehospital in Boston is Boston EMS. Many of the surrounding areas are either fire based EMS or will contract out to private companies. Find out who those companies are, research the application process and go from there. If you want to work in a hospital find a hospital for whom you'd like to work and go to the HR section of their website. There you should find the qualifications for that facility as each employer will probably be a little different.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.