CA EMT-B does stand-by

joey c.

Hi all,

I am an EMT-B in CA and enjoy working in a stand-by capacity. I only do BLS/first aid tasks, and call ALS when needed. I am subcontracted by a company that provides my equipment. I provide my own insurance. I keep a pt. log and fill out PCRs. I am certified in CA and by the National Registry. I can pick and choose my schedule. It's great! What exactly is the concern about independant stand-bys?

There is a concern? It seems to me that you are stating your own case and then trying to raise an argument against it.

Would you like for me to try and find an objection to independent stand by?

I don't quite understand what your point is? Advertising perhaps?

Edited by DFIB

Why are you subcontracted? Why don't you work directly for the company? You have to keep a pt log and provide your own insurance. Do you get to charge fees?

I guess I am spoiled, I am a vollie, and I have ALS within the agency. Insurance, paperwork, and equipment all provided. The patient remans my main focus.

Why are you subcontracted? Why don't you work directly for the company? You have to keep a pt log and provide your own insurance. Do you get to charge fees?

I guess I am spoiled, I am a vollie, and I have ALS within the agency. Insurance, paperwork, and equipment all provided. The patient remans my main focus.

I envy you. I vollie and get none of those things except for some immobilization equipment, some O2 equipment, and of course the ambulance.

There is a concern? It seems to me that you are stating your own case and then trying to raise an argument against it.

Would you like for me to try and find an objection to independent stand by?

I don't quite understand what your point is? Advertising perhaps?

It seems like there have been several threads lately thrashing those that want to do independent standbys...I don't know of course, but my guess would be that that is where he is coming from...

I've been curious about this lately...at what level I wonder do you need a medical director if you're offing minor first aid only?

It seems like there have been several threads lately thrashing those that want to do independent standbys...I don't know of course, but my guess would be that that is where he is coming from...

I've been curious about this lately...at what level I wonder do you need a medical director if you're offing minor first aid only?

He subs for a company that provides equipment so they might provide medical direction as well. I sounds like a good market niche if you can stay legal.

I went on a standby in Colorado for a type of motorcycle racing that, I don't remember what it's called, but the track is say, 7-8 miles long around back country and they do a certain number of laps. Pretty cool, lots of endurance, rough country...

But they had two 'medics' that traveled with them to provide first aid care. Both EMTBs, they had no medical direction, traveled all over the country, and the only reason that they had a standby ambulance was that the property owner demanded it.

It does seem like it could be a niche...I'm not sure why you would need medical direction for first aid, but I wonder if having a professional cert would remove that option from you? One of those things where it's ok for a non trained person to provide it, but a trained person needs oversight?

I think compensation for the work is the key point. One ceases so be protected under the Good Samaritan the moment they have the expectation of compensation although being certified might come into play as well. I simply don't know.

Then again if you are getting paid to render first aid without a certification; Wouldn't one be practicing medicine without a license?

Edited by DFIB

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.