Pioneer Astronaut Sally Ride, has died

The death of Sally Ride is a sad occasion. I sincerely hope that those feminists who spent more time in front of the camera (the Jane Fondas of the world) will put their time to better use by sending well wishes to the family and friends of Ms Ride, than using her death as another excuse to get a few more minutes of camera time.

I have read several articles about her life today, and she was truly an accomplished woman. One of the most striking things about her life, was that she did not attempt to glorify herself or her accomplishments as "feminist" but that she chose to use her skills to encourage others through her company and her teaching. How many students was she mentor to? What a difference she must have made in their lives!

How sad that there were those who chose to make childish comments about bathroom privacy, and "what will she wear" when she was the first US female astronaut to go into space, rather than take the opportunity to encourage more women to look at that field of science. Unfortunately that mentality is still alive and well today in too many workplaces. I hope that the legacy of Sally Ride is that those students that she taught and mentored can bring the same enthusiasm and passion for science that she had, and pass it on to others.

Why aren't the feminist waving the Sally Ride flag?

Because they, like the rest of the US population, male and female, who remember when Dr. Ride first went into space, are in mourning.

May she rest in peace with the legacy, that many have learned from her and they too, can achieve greatness.

A great inspiration to all, sadly her life partner of 27 years will not get any survivor benefits due to the repressive nature of our country; regardless not only did she exemplify excellence in her chosen career, she demonstrated it well by remaining committed for 27 years to the woman she loved--far longer than most average relationships last these days.

Because they, like the rest of the US population, male and female, who remember when Dr. Ride first went into space, are in mourning.

Yeah, I get that, I meant before her death. It could be argued that going into space twice was not even the the pinnacle of her professional achievements, nor, as Annie mentioned, as a human being.

She led an entire life that was inspiring, and worth being celebrated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.