NREMT- P transition

Does anybody have a clear understand of the NREMT-P to NRP transition? I recently finished my paramedic program and am looking at getting nationally registry certified. When I looked on NREMT website, it looks like if I take my test before the end of the year, I will have to complete the transition to the NRP in a few years, but if I take the test after the year, I will not have to. Will the test change a lot then? I am debating if I should take the test now, or wait. I do not need it for my current state certification, just want to get it for the future.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

That will not apply until the end of this year. People who already have NREMT credentials will have to transition to NRP regardless. Each state will have it's own transition process if it intends to follow NREMT. You will need to follow up with your state EMS office for specific details.

• Like 1

So I called national registry, to try and get an answer straight from them. They were surprisingly helpful over the phone. My program is not yet accredited with CAAHEP/ COAEMSP, but because I finished before the end of the year I am grandfathered in, and can take the national registry.

With the transition program, anyone who takes the NREMT-P test before January 1st 2013, regardless of when you finished your paramedic program, will have to take a "transition class" by march 2017. From what I gather no one is yet certain what the transition class will look like. NREMT says it is up to each state, but my state (who wants nothing to do with NREMT) does not know what the details of what they will do will be.

The transition course will cover information included in the new curricula, but not mandatory in old, here is the list:

BiPAP-CPAP-PEEP,Access indwelling catheters and implanted central IV ports, ETCO2 monitoring, Morgan lens, NG/ OG tube, additional physician option medications, and chest tube monitoring.

If I chose to wait and take the national registry test after the first of the year, all the above topics are likely to be on the computer section of the test (but not on the skill stations).

I think I'm going to go for my NREMT-P now, and just plan on taking whatever transition course they come up with later. I really didn't learn much about the above listed topics, so I (a) might fail the NRP test if I'm tested on the new information, and (B) should probably sit in on a course teaching about them more in depth.

Well hopefully some of this information helps someone else in the same dilemma as I on whether to take NREMT-P now or wait

The only thing I know about it is that Kansas educational standards already met the new ones, so the only thing changing for us is the title (from Mobile Intensive Care Technician to Paramedic); no transition course. Not sure if that relates to the CAAHEP accreditation or not?

• 1 year later...

I'm in Texas and just got my Paramedic. I was certified as an Intermediate 99 through NR. I completed a transition class for I99 to Paramedic. Basically I took a 48 hr Paramedic refresher class and that covered as my transitiin class. It took a little bit of work but I got Texas to recognize it.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.