Paramedic or Nurse route from EMT

Hi, Im a new EMT and definitely want to be a paramedic down the line in the next few years.

I am also a CNA and i know that there are bridge options from paramedic to RN and the other way around too.

Do you guys have any suggestions on which way may be better??

Also PA school can be the option too after being and EMT for a while.

Looking for some thoughts, experience please!

Thanks!

M

Do Nursing first then bridge to Paramedic. It's as simple as that

True that..

you know when you think about things that you should have done and then realise soe istakes made sense at the time, others make no sense and soe of your decision you realise were just retarded.

Not doing the double degree nursing/paramedic and taking the paramedic only one was on of those retarded decisions

Do the nursing bro

I think not replacing your phone with one that has a working touchscreen so your posts arent all half lettered and muppet looking could be counted up there as one?

Remember, in the US only Nursing requires a Degree, Paramedic does not so one can easily tack on a Paramedic cert if they decide to attend the local patch factory for trailer trash medics or most community colleges that offer a Paramedic degree will allow significant cross crediting/RPL from a Nursing degree

You will have to make some decisions. If you are seriously entertaining PA school, I'd focus on completing an undergrad degree and getting good grades while focusing on the science pre-requisites. You should also obtain good EMT experience and consider PA shadowing. You can also check out PA specific sites and SDN for additional information.

• Like 1

I think not replacing your phone with one that has a working touchscreen so your posts arent all half lettered and muppet looking could be counted up there as one?

could probably help too

Thanks guys! Yea, I already have a bachelor degree but in order for me to apply to nursing school or PA school, i will have to take those science prerequisite classes again (need to be current within 5 years).

Whereas paramedic, I can start without finishing prerequisites. But looks like most of the people are saying nursing school first, right? Im applying to an ambulance company for an EMT position for right now so either way, I can get some experience and volunteer at a fire station right now.I work as a CNA at a hospital right now but I much rather be working on an ambulance than being on the floor all day....

Remember, in the US only Nursing requires a Degree, Paramedic does not so one can easily tack on a Paramedic cert if they decide to attend the local patch factory for trailer trash medics or most community colleges that offer a Paramedic degree will allow significant cross crediting/RPL from a Nursing degree

Ahem... don't forget about Kansas and Oregon! We require degrees!

As for the OP... I would normally say do whichever one you think you'll like better, but if you're planning on doing both regardless, I'd say go for nursing first. More options, better pay, much better respect. Most EMS schedules make school difficult, but there are literally endless scheduling options as a nurse from the 9-5 route to 12 hour shifts.

Thanks guys! Yea, I already have a bachelor degree but in order for me to apply to nursing school or PA school, i will have to take those science prerequisite classes again (need to be current within 5 years).

Which of these do you really want to do? Do you want to be a PA? Or do you want to be a nurse? If you're going to have to retake your science courses what does it matter the time involved? Are you going for one over the other simply because it's easier? Or are you deciding based on what you *really* want to do?

What it boils down to is how bad you want it. If you're willing to take a certain route simply because it's easier then I'd like to respectfully suggest you reconsider your motives.

• 4 weeks later...

I work as a CNA but I do like being an EMT better. It just gives me more oppotunity to think and help instead of walking on the hospital floor all night. So on that note, I would rather be a Paramedic than a nurse. Nurses still have to take orders from MDs. as far as PA goes, I think that is something I had looked into but I may still like being on the street over being at the dr's office.

So Im not trying to choose depending on which one is easier. But before I got exposed to the ems profession, I always thought I wanted to be a nurse. But now, I like being an EMT rather than a CNA.

Does that make sense?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.