Right now you need to worry about nothing besides whether you can get sponsored for a work visa. Nothing else matters and everything outside of this pales into insignificance because it is insignificant as without that nothing else happens.

As I have said, most places in Canada seem to fill their labour requirements internally with Canadian trained students from their own province and some internal labour moves between provinces. In Ontario I hear competition to get a PCP job is pretty bloody tough.

I know of some people from Australia and the UK who have made the move to Kandahara but they have been very experienced Intensive Care Paramedics or State Registered Paramedics respectively not some young wide eyed fresher with no experience. Look at it from the view of the employer; it costs them several thousand dollars and a ton of paperwork to sponsor you and right next to you is another graduate with the same amount of zero experience and his shiny new Class 4 Driver License (Class F in Ontario) but is a citizen so why in the hell are they going to sponsor you? they're not.

If you do not get sponsored then your Canadian training means nothing in the United States; you will be out a lot of money and no further ahead.

I do not mean to be negative I am being realistic, I think you are up against a battle which is simply not winnable, do not give up but do some serious research about whether or not you will get sponsored, get talking to prospective employers NOW because nothing else matters.

I wish you the best of luck eh, let us know how you get on

Has anyone here received their PCP through JIBC and then transferred to EMT certification in Alberta? How did the reciprocity process work out for you?

Thanks,

H

I did my EMT-P (Alberta's chosen title for the ACP level) training in Alberta after first licensing as a PCP in BC. If your already licensed in another province, excluding Quebec, it's as simple as filing paperwork and completing a jurisprudence exam. Any scope of practice differences are taken care of through GAP training modules which vary based on which jurisdiction you're coming from.

As Kiwi already mentioned, you have much more important things to figure out before investing in a Canadian education. If you do figure it out I look forward to seeing your enthusiastic new face on a BC ambulance in the near future.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

I look forward to seeing your enthusiastic new face on a BC ambulance in the near future.

I will come work with you Rock Socks, you can drive at night and spot mailbox numbers other than that we are good to go!

Also WTF Albertobianuckistanada be different why dont you every other province has PCP/ACP but no you have to have EMT/EMTP man you are making yourself look like Kazbeckistan by being different here :D

Thank you for the advice, guys, it is greatly appreciated. The only reason I ask is to see if it would be possible to get sponsorship for a work visa in Alberta in the case that no one is hiring in BC. I hear that the job market is somewhat more encouraging there. My dream is to work in BC, but to do that, I need a job in Canada, period. Thanks again for your help.

We're always hiring in BC, it is just you have to navigate the part-time rural/remote gauntlet before you have a crack at a good job. I was lucky, when I got on there was an unusual shortage of internal lateral transfer applications for stations in my area. I was able to snag a rural station with two cars and a 2100 call/yr call volume as my first station. Even as part-time, with 100% availability I do ok most pay periods. A lot of people aren't so lucky. A lot of my friends are now being hired into stations that do 300-400 calls/year. $2/hr really doesn't get you very far with that call volume.

I will come work with you Rock Socks, you can drive at night and spot mailbox numbers other than that we are good to go!

Also WTF Albertobianuckistanada be different why dont you every other province has PCP/ACP but no you have to have EMT/EMTP man you are making yourself look like Kazbeckistan by being different here :D

Done deal. Maybe one day things will line up well enough to do a medic exchange. Kind of a see what life is like where water swirls the other direction thing.

As for Alberta... Lets just say they are only marginally better than Quebec when it comes to playing nice in the pool. Alberta has some excellent people but it also has some real "We are the one and only!" BS attitudes in desperate need of a reality check. As for the issue of title I can see both sides of the argument. The biggest argument being that Albertans recognize that EMT means BLS and Paramedic means ALS.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.