American Move to BC

I am curious also as to why the OP has selected the this specific program which is the shortest in Canada at four months when elsewhere Primary Care Paramedic program takes one to two years of full time university?

I am also quite curious as to who the OP plans to fund all of this as its going to cost many thousands of dollars and without Canadian permanent residency he won't be eligible for any student assistance through the CSLP nor will any of the US Federal student aid/grants pay for an international education.

Additionally say he gets his Primary Care Paramedic and is unable to be sponsored for a work visa so returns to the US; his Canadian training is unusable and he may have a very large private loan debt so what? it's off to flipping burgers?

No negativity or disrespect intended but the bro strikes me as a bit of a wide eyed idealistic fresher with no real cold hard understanding of the realistic likelihood of success. It's all very well and good saying "Oh I want to go to Canada" or "you can do it don't give up!" but seriously, that only goes so far, which isn't far.

I want to leap from a helicopter and run around in a bloody orange jumpsuit with "DOCTOR" written on it but it's taken me nearly ten years to figure out the best way of doing it and even then it's still not a given. I have a backup plan and backup backup plan because I am aware of the reasonable possibility that things do not go to plan

Kiwi,

I'll likely be taking the EMS.degree from JIBC, which is a roughly 1 1/2 year course of study that grants a formal BSc combined with PCP certification. I am relatively wide-eyed and idealistic; no offense taken on that account. I know that this is a gamble, and that's why I am on here: to improve my odds and understand some of the vagaries involved. Again, I am young, and this seems like I process that I should begin early. Better (for me) to know that this is impossible than to spend my days wondering what life in BC would have been like. It sounds like you have a dream towards which you are working, against no inconsiderable odds. I have been saving cash for my EMS education for over two years, and have about 10,000 American squirreled away for this purpose. Thank you for your concern and your help.

As long as you understand you are up against some pretty big hurdles and that you need to have a back up plan; what exactly is your back up plan?

You may wish to look into doing your training in the US, finishing an EMS BSc and getting five or so years experience in a very progressive system then looking into AU/NZ; a much more established and realistic process because the Ambulance Service will help you get a work visa and that is guaranteed.

Seriously? That's kinda' cool, actually.

Yes, the ASNSW and QAS in AU are recognised employers for a 457 Visa and in NZ both services are accredited with Immigration NZ

Now in saying this you have to tackle some pretty stiff competition coming out of the UK, Canada and South Africa which is where the traditional ex-pat base has come from given similarities in education and operations but there are several American Intensive Care Paramedics here in NZ.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.