Following a passion

John5482

After 10 yrs of active duty with the AF, I'm finally going to EMT school and testing for clark county FD in NV. Start my classes in Aug for the fall semester, then EMT-I in spring followed by Paramedic in a year.

I was a call firefighter was I was in college, a short lived experience, then I enlisted. My wife is AD AF as a medic and at one point, I had done more emergency type care than she had. There was one incident that has driven me to this choice, and it continually pushes me. I cant wait to get started and learn.

I'm looking into buy some decent boots and I'm open to all CONSTRUCTIVE advice. I've been the military for 10 yrs so I know I should expect some harassment.

My dad had some jumpboots that zipped up the sides, but he was also a FF for 34 yrs. I was looking at Bates, 5.11., and Rockys with zippers.

What are some of your favorite boots, pants and any other good to haves. Thanks

John

• Like 1

Welcome, John.

I wouldn't really worry too much about spending money on that kind of stuff for now. Wait until you're either in class or hired and get their uniform requirements then. The stuff can get expensive. No sense spending the money if you don't have to.

If you're into window shopping for the items you mentioned then by all means go out and find what you like. What works for you might not work for me and vice versa.

As for your EMT class, if you can take an anatomy and physiology class over the summer prior to the start of your EMT course I'd strongly recommend it.

Jump in on some of the discussions here. If nothing else it'll help get you in the mindset of how you'll need to think for class.

Hey John,

Good to hear you and your bride are part of the best branch of the military. Of course I will catch some ribbing about that!!

I was AD for 11 years and went on to the Air National Guard an served another 15 years. So I am a happliy retired E7.

Like paramedicmike said, don't spend money, you don't have to. Whatever company you get to work with will either provide you with the right equipment or tell you what you need to get.

Did you sign up with anyone as a vollie, yet? If possible do that now and also sign up for classes as PM pointed out.

Keep us posted on your progress and stay on these boards. There is a lot of knowledge and wisdom here..

• Like 1

Welcome good sir

Any decent pair of black steel capped work boots will do just fine, I have had the same pair for almost five years, they cost me $60 when I worked as a cook and have served me well for my Ambulance exp and a bunch of other things too.

If you can skip the EMT Intermediate class and just go to Paramedic then you're probably better off; I know some of the Fire Departments in Nevada like you to have EMT Intermediate (Washoe County springs to mind) but look into the suggestion anyway.

I also strongly advise you to take anatomy and physiology before your EMT class

Oh and mind the Kiwi, he is crazy

Now, if you need me, I can be found at the blackjack tables ...

• Like 1

Some people are crazy about their boots. I've never really been. You won't be doing 20k humps etc, just a bit of walking and stair climbing most times.

My main requirement is zippers. I like to take them off when I can and the zippers allow me to do so without having to lace them up enroute during a call.

Almost all services will want you to wear black, something that will take polish is good, though most won't care about that either, and all will likely require steel or composite toes. I LOVE the Converse boots. They weigh near nothing, are comfortable as slippers, have a composite toe that passes OSHA standards, have side zippers, and only cost about $80. I got turned onto them in Afg (civilian contract medic) and have worn them since. I get about two years out of a pair then the softer soles get worn down, and I buy a new pair. That works as there's really no break in period with them. Plus the soft soles aren't hard on people's floors and I believe them to be more stable in rocky, unstable areas.

Good luck with your studies! As Kiwi said, it's worth your time to investigate going from basic to medic. Ignore the "zero to hero" bullshit as much of the intermediate information is redundant in medic class. It's a more difficult path, so if you're not a relatively strong student then the longer route might be better.

Good luck Brother, and thanks for your service...

Dwayne

• Like 1

I've tried Rockies and found them to be very stiff and unfriendly to the feet. Others love them, I guess it just depends on you. I wear Magnum Stealth Tactical boots with a side zipper. LOVE love love them...they were very easy to break in, almost didnt need to. Very foot friendly. I had always gotten black work boots at Walmart for about $50 and walked out of them in about 6 months. I bought the Magnums for $100 and they are still going strong a year later.

Bottom line is if you are going to be in them for many hours, get something that is friendly to your feet. But like some of the others have stated, don't worry about boots right now. Concentrate on class :)

• Like 1

Whatever fits well and is within your employer's specifications. I'm at a point where I can wear a good pair of trail runners and get away with it. When I flew on a regular basis I wore a pair of jungle boots that were about 10 years old and dated back to my days in the military. They were free, fit well, we're breathable and were easy to shine since I'd put do much work into them over the years. I'd focus on school for now however.

Thanks everybody. I'm feeling the subtle hint about the A&P class. My wife said it also. She is at IDMT school right now and is loving it. I tried taking a BIO or my A&P but they're all booked up here at CSN. Sounds like a common theme as far as making sure I get what I'm comfortable with.

There are no vol depts near by since I'm in Vegas. As soon as my wife gets orders which is most likely to AK or MT I'll be getting on a Vol dept in that area. I cant wait to get started and chase this career. It seems as though the private sector may have more maturity than the military. Dont get me wrong, I've enjoyed my 10 yrs, working with all sorts of folks, but there was a common theme.

I may sound like an 18 year old kid, but I'm amped about this chapter in my life. Once again, thanks for the insight. I'm sure I'll be posting all sorts of stuff in here in regards to gaining knowledge.

Dwayne when were you a J?

JD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.