How do you get experiance in the first place?

This is my first post in a long time, and I've got to say, it feels good to be back!

I know this part of the forum gets a lot of threads asking how to become a SWAT Medic, or some other High-Speed-Low-Drag-Bullets-And-Band-Aids profession, and I don't want this to be just another one of those threads, but I have some specific questions.

1- Short of enlisting as a Corpsman, how do you get the experience needed to work in the field of Tactical Medicine?

And...

2- What are the people making hiring decisions looking for? Should I emphasize/downplay anything?

I suspect a lot of people in this field get their start in the military, but as it stands, I'm not eligible for military service. Maybe when I learn how to be as productive without ADD medication as I am when I'm on it, I'll reconsider enlisting, but that’s definitely a ways out.

I'm still trying to get a job in EMS or The Fire Service, but I'd eventually like to end up over here. I'm assuming that it’s easier to start on the medical side, than it is to start in Law Enforcement, and convince your chain of command to make you a medic. Or would I be better off working in a branch of Law Enforcement before I get hired/volunteer someplace as an EMT/Fire Fighter?

Does anyone know of any agencies - EMS or LE, that allow volunteers the opportunity to work or train in Tactical Medicine?

I know I'm in no position to dictate the terms of my employment, but ideally, I'd like to end up as an armed member of the Tactical/Response/Boarding team. Don't misunderstand me: If being unarmed and not going through the door is the most I'll ever be allowed to do, I'll do it with a smile, and wake up every day thankful for that opportunity, regardless of it being a career or volunteer position.

I'm also a little unsure of what I should be emphasizing or downplaying in my job search. I currently have a resume geared towards employment in the Fire Service, but I decided to play it safe, politically, and not mention any of the firearms safety/manipulation training I've taken. Infact, I didn't mention firearms at all. I was mostly concerned that I would be labeled a "gun-nut" or that they may be reluctant to hire someone who enjoys shooting for a tactical position. Is that a good idea, or would an agency, knowing that I'm interested in tactical medicine, see that as a good thing?

If it would help at all, and if the forum moderators are OK with it, here’s a link to my linkedin profile/ resume.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/chris-johnson/53/a63/432

If there’s any other info that would be helpful, details about the firearms training I've taken, education, or anything else, let me know and I'll provide it.

Thank you in advance for the input. I know you read a lot of posts like this, so I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Also, if any of my nomenclature is wrong, or I'm using incorrect terminology for anything, please, let me know.

Thanks,

Chris "Stitches" Johnson

Mate you're all over the show, you want to be an ambo, you want to join the fire service, you want to be SWAT Medic, you're OK with not being a SWAT medic, you want to be a cop .... WTF?

I am guessing you're some wide eyed fresher with no experience, well unfortunately that puts you at the bottom of the "no" pile, why am I, as an employer, going to take the risk of employing somebody with zero experience when I've got people with experience?

You need to be highlighting your transferable skills so things like problem solving, teamwork, interpersonal skills, things like that because lets face it in US anybody who has a junctional escape rhythm with a rate about zero can get pass a 120 hour EMT class

If I were you approach local hospitals, see if you can volunteer in the ED, or look to some of the surrounding county areas to see if any of them use volunteers. At worst you may have to move to obtain experience.

• Like 1

Stitches-

Why tactical EMS? What is it that you REALLY want (other than adrenaline)? Why EMS at all?

I want to see your thinking, then I'll give you more...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN Student

• Like 1

Perhaps it is that he functions well, but is barred by military screenings... however, I find that difficult to believe, as I know of someone who is on mood stabilizers and who is in active service... maybe it's a case by case basis or something, but I would have thought for sure this person would have been disqualified and yet, there they are!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN Student

Thanks for all the input!

ParamedicMike: This is the first time I've heard of anyone serving in the military while taking ADD medication. Eydawn hit the nail on the head: It’s not that I don't want to go into the military, but that I have been told that in order to enlist, I cannot be on ADD medication. I'll definitely look into the issue to see if things are changing, or if I can get a waiver for it.

Kiwiology: The point I was trying to make is that I would like to end up as an armed SWAT medic. Right now, I'm pursuing EMS/Fire because as far as I can tell, that’s where I need to start. The way I understand it, is that with most places, you are a FF/Paramedic most of the time, but when SWAT is called, you go in with them. I may be wrong, but for now, that’s the info I'm going off of.

Eydawn: I want to be involved in EMS and The Fire Service because of the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment I get from helping others. There are other perks to it: I enjoy the variety, and there is so much that you have to learn. It’s also a career that provides a challenge that is both mental and physical. Mostly though, I want to help people.

As far as my interest in Tactical Medicine specifically, its all of the above, but I think there’s another piece to it. I feel like I have a knack for EMS. Despite my lack of experience, I think it is something I can wrap my head around and be competent in relatively faster and easier than many other things, and I'd like to put those skills to a good use. I have done some firearms training, and shoot regularly, and I DO NOT want to go into Tactical Medicine because I like guns or I want the excitement. I want to go into Tactical Medicine because I have some skill with firearms safety/manipulation/tactical-thinking, and I want to put those skills to a good use, and do something where other people can benefit from that.

Again, I appreciate all the info, and if there’s anything else you need cleared up to give me a better answer, just let me know.

Thanks, and enjoy your Independence Day (for those who celebrate it)

Chris "Stitches" Johnson

From what I read on the other (very simliar threads, you should search for `em and take a look) threads on this topic, you`re a good amount of time away from becoming part of a SWAT team. Starting with EMS might be the best shot to start with, but honestly, I wouldn`t be too obsessed with the SWAT thing. It`s cool to have an overall dream, but seeing how many years lay between you and that dream of yours, and how precious few positions there are available for a hell of a lot of folks who`d like to fill in - I`d say mainly concentrate on advancing in one field and trying to exceed in that (either EMS or LE) for now.

As stated above, though, I`m only forming my opinion by having read the other threads on that topic, since I`m situated in Germany, and around here, you have to be Police -> SWAT -> SWAT trained medic, as far as I`m aware, so there´s no civilian-entry-route for that position.

Edited by Vorenus

You are aiming for such a tiny niche of the Ambulance Service you really must ask yourself if you will be happy being a Paramedic and not doing SWAT because if you do not get it are you going to be happy being a regular Paramedic?

It's like me wanting to be a HEMS Doctor, it is a niche within a niche, I will be happy being an Anaesthetist first and then can look into subspecialties ... if you only want to be SWAT perhaps you are better off joining the Police

Interestingly, here the Armed Offenders Squad (SWAT) are only regular Police Officers/ CIB (Detectives) and operate on a call out basis only not full time and Ambulance Rescue (SERT) which support the AOS are not armed and never will be.

Edited by Kiwiology

It's like me wanting to be a HEMS Doctor, it is a niche within a niche, I will be happy being an Anaesthetist first and then can look into subspecialties ... if you only want to be SWAT perhaps you are better off joining the Police

Even smaller the niche, seeing that Medic One`s the real deal... ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.