How do you deal with stress?  

117 members have voted

1. 1.

• Exercise
    • Talking
    • Drinking
    • Yoga or equivalant
    • Keep it bottled up

I get really mad... blow up on the ride home... looks funny me yelling at myself. get home hide in my room grab a beer and come on here. chat chat chat. feel better go to bed drunk. wake up hungover and do it all again.

That was me last night and this morning. lol 8) need these... lol

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a couple of people i can talk to - usually i will stuff it though, those that i actually talk to about stuff it's usually b/c they managed to drag it out of me or its really really getting to me; i'm trying to be better about it though and talk things out instead of stuffing it....a good cry helps too when things get really bad. otherways i have a weblog/xanga journal, i will type things out and make it a private post (i'm still getting it out and not bottling it but nobody had to know) or i go find some friends and hang out with them (usually non-ems related). being alone is good, if something happens at work and i need to be alone for a few minutes theres' the great outdoors (aka cement block beside the bay door at the ER or the garage where we keep our supplies or the bay....wherever nobody else is, outside is good unless the weather is yuck) if it hangs over after work i can stop at the park and go for a walk.... i'm too young to drink so nothing there and i refuse to smoke (watched my grandparents die from those poison sticks) so that rules them two "options" out.

i also talk w/ my dad.. was a career MFF/EMT-P Flight Medic, the whole alphabet soup of stuff... plus was on a FEMA USAR Task Force Team, etc for 30 some years .. so no matter what i come up w/ he understands... def. helps the stress

I am lucky enough to have my best friend who is also in EMS and my guy who is the fire chief to talk with. Yeah we go have a beer or two and smoke a bunch of cigarettes. My best friend is still new at this so I spend alot of time talking with her. She still gets pretty down on herself but she does a great job. She dwells on the what ifs a little too much so I try and make sure she knows that she did the best possible job she can do and that's what matters. My stress comes from pulling the drunk driver out of the vehicle and putting the sober driver in a body bag. PISSES ME off to no end. We get alot of trauma here. Thing is, this county is small and we are surrounded by reservation so most of the time you know who you are working on.

I have been telling my crew mates about this site so hopefully they will start trickling in.

:lol:B):D:D

I try to get away from things for awhile by going camping or fishing.If I cant get away just sitting outside and enjoy the sounds of nature in town. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Healthy ways: Exercise (really, it works), listen to some music, forget that I'm a paramedic for a day or two.

Unhealthy ways: Cause unnecessary traffic jams (this works well too), drink, annoy uptight service providers (easier than you might think)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.