How do you deal with stress?  

117 members have voted

1. 1.

• Exercise
    • Talking
    • Drinking
    • Yoga or equivalant
    • Keep it bottled up

I believe it's because if we can make lite of a situation then perhaps it doesn't seem as bad. There's a formal psychological term for this, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head. I've always called it the "laugh or cry theory"- either you laugh or you cry.

I think you are referring to Sigmund Freud's theory of reaction formation . This is when anxiety-producing or unacceptable emotions are replaced by their direct opposites.

Actually, bad jokes" and "sick humor" are very good examples of this. They also are effective in relieving tension. This type of coping only becomes a problem when it is used most/all of the time. Flexible coping skills are the key to managing stress.

Hope you don't mind the plug, but I just wrote something in my blog about coping mechanisms that might be of interest. Check it out. http://www.behavioralfirstaid.com/wordp

Virginia

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll usually get pissed and rant about the call to my partner for awhile. Then Drive home smoking a cigar and arguing with myself. A stiff drink when I get home, then off to bed. I may bring it up with people later. But usually by morning I'm over it. It's my job and to be frank you see enough of them and they all start looking the same.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a few different coping methods because nothing ever works 100% everytime. I have a few drinks, fish, run, work with my lab(dog), garden, work on my truck, yell at the squirrels, throw rocks at a tree, talk with my friends, confide in my wife, camp, yell, ........... What ever works is what works.?! Nothing works best for me.

• 6 months later...

Pruning my bonsai whilst listening to classical music. Might sound lame to some but I don't really care because it works for me.

Running and mountain biking are also great.

Stay safe,

Curse :evil:

You are not going to believe me, but I had a moment of awakening that changed my life. When my busy urban 911 system transitioned to 13 hour shifts from 24 hour shifts, I realized that I could either not transport 12 patients during my shift, or I could transport 6 or 7. Once I started transporting, I was no longer overworked or as stressed as I used to be when I was up for 24 hours running 16-20 BS calls. Once I realized how this changed my professional life, I realized that much of the things that I stressed about in my personal life were not things that I would be remembering on my death bed, so I just stopped stressing about those issues as well. As far as stressful calls, you have to realize that you didnt cause the illness or injury, all you can do is your best, which sometimes isnt enough. You can be the best PALS provider in the world, but that doesnt reverse pediatric cancer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.