giving Narcotics like candy

canuckemtp

Was driven to the ED last night by my partner with the worst migraine I have ever had in my entire life. I have never vomited with a migraine - until last night.

1st RN couldn't get a line, so they gave me IM Imitrex. Made things worse - pale, diaphoretic, more nauseous. Another RN comes in gets a 22 ga in the L hand. 2mg Dilaudid, 25mg Phenergan (over like 5 min). Total sigh of relief after about 10 minutes, except for still having that pukey feeling. Next med is Zofran (don't know how much). Gave me RX for Fioricet. Ahhh feeling better

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was driven to the ED last night by my partner with the worst migraine I have ever had in my entire life. I have never vomited with a migraine - until last night.

Be careful to not overlook any signs that you may be burning out. Seriously. If you have never had migraines like that before, then this could be a sign of burnout. I remember when I burned out the first time (14 years into the field) I had migraines so bad that I had to have my partner drive the entire shift while I sat or laid in back with the lights out because the light made me throw up. Couldn't concentrate. Skills were suffering. A couple weeks off is all it took and I was fine. Never another headache.

I'm just sayin... be careful. ;)

warning well taken. I have been under a lot of stress with having to move, due to the flood of waters. Work is almost like an escape from the stench and all from all of my ruined belongings. things can only get better from here.

Dust, that is one thing that most of us do not want to admit though. Burnout is a misnomer in this profession as we are all Alpha personalities and hate to admit defeat. I have noticed though that I have been getting more iritable lately and short tempered, but it has more to do with my home life than my work life. Another case of needing a release from EMS and not having one except rebuilding my basement and being the referee between my wife and pre teenage daughter.

For those of you who do not know the dangers of Imitrex for migraines, people with cardiac history should not take this drug.

Sounds like shannen had a pre-cardiac event that may have been related to the imitrex. I advised in a pm not to take that drug again.

I had a patient who said they had a slight cardiac family history and I was ordered to give imitrex for his migraine, we ended up coding him and bringing him back but it was a really bad scene.

For those of you who do not know the dangers of Imitrex for migraines, people with cardiac history should not take this drug.

Sounds like shannen had a pre-cardiac event that may have been related to the imitrex. I advised in a pm not to take that drug again.

I had a patient who said they had a slight cardiac family history and I was ordered to give imitrex for his migraine, we ended up coding him and bringing him back but it was a really bad scene.

To add to the above post, this drug should also NEVER be taken by a Gravid female.....PERIOD..especially for migraines, etc....

out here,

Ace844

I'm going to have to warn my little sister about Imitrex then...thanks for the info guys I will pass it on.

Meri

Imitrex is really a good drug for those that suffer migraines. Just like any other medications it has S/E & A/E that needs to used cautiously.Research has shown that narcotics has never really treated migraines only the symptoms. Usually, the narotics places you in a deeps leep enough for the person to "sleep" the migrain headache. One of our physician's used to use a steroid and anti-ematic and it worked just as well as the narcotic. Even some of them was on oxycontin and it worked better thatn the narcotic.

I am quite aware of the severity of pain, associated with cluster headaches as well. If re-current headaches begin, you should be seen and evaluated ny a nuerologist and hopefully be treated aggressive.

Good luck,

RIdryder 911

I got the PM, and thank you for the message. However, Rid is right. Imitrex actually keeps the migraines away, narcotics numb the pain. I explained in the PM that I usually take Imetrex PO, and have never had it IM. I did become a little hypotensive for a little while, which would explain the diaphoresis and paleness. I am feeling much better aside from some abdominal discomfort, which is a major side effect of narcotics.

Again thanks for the warning, but my doctor and I feel this is the best for me. (hell 2 migraines a year that I have to take Imitrex for...can't complain)

Shannon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.