Holding Us Back: A Great Example

Eydawn

It's more that EMS in US has been spun up into this allure or culture that sees itself as far more important or "hero" like than it actually is, and probably has some fairly negative consequences; "I don't need a bunch of book learning to save lives!" etc

Edited by Kiwiology

Don't be jealous. Just because you southern hemisphereers can't get hero status, don't know us up here for being able to do it.

Not jealous.............us good guys below the equator (God's favorite end of the world) dont need to be assured a hero's status....we know where we stand in the eyes of the population.......to be able to go out and get the "best ambulance crew in the world" tag and "Hero's" title just goes to overinflate egos and self worth.......humbleness and humility will always be a better trait that brashness and hero worship..........BTW paramedics in Aust have just been voted the most trusted profession for the 8th year running...........not heros but the most trusted....BIG difference

I know Craig, I was just messing with Kiwi. I can't stand the hero thing. A hero is someone who does something great when it is not expected of them, not when they get paid for it or volunteer to do it (though I don't think those requirements apply to the military).

No, don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go into their normal jobs, and get a distress call from the Commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes.

Dwight Schrute

• Like 1

Does anyone recall the cartoon, after the 9-11 attack, showing Spiderman, Wonder Woman, and Superman asking a small group of FD, EMS and LEOs for their autograph?

No, and its that kind of mentality which we are talking about; I have had to turn several people's wall postings off on my Facebook because they just recycle (share) those pictures spewing how heroic and great and wonderful all the ambos and cops and fireys are and how they do some sort of holier than thou mission and deserve massive amounts of awe and acclaim when its nothing more than dribble and bullshit that as Craig says overinflates egos and gives one false delusions of grandeur but hey then again it is some sort of "calling" right? pfftt

You know all those people who have stars of life on their cars back window, or have EMS tattoos or run around with EMS t shirts on? they look stupid, honestly, they look ridiculous and they get laughed at here

The majority still refuse to accept higher education as necessary yet bitch on and on about wanting higher pay, more respect or greater clinical autonomy but hey "you don't need some college class to save lives!"

I bet there isn't a whole lot of hot air overinflated egotistical dick spanking bullshit out there about all those Japanese Firefighters/ELSTs or the New Zealand crews who went down to Christchurch. I know several people who went and the mentality is "just did what had to be done".

• Like 1

Does anyone recall the cartoon, after the 9-11 attack, showing Spiderman, Wonder Woman, and Superman asking a small group of FD, EMS and LEOs for their autograph?

no, glad i didnt see it ....would have made me puke.............

I know Craig, I was just messing with Kiwi. I can't stand the hero thing. A hero is someone who does something great when it is not expected of them, not when they get paid for it or volunteer to do it (though I don't think those requirements apply to the military).

I realise that Doc........and with kiwi it would normally be deserved, but i had to side with my ANZAC mate on that one..............

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.