Holding Us Back: A Great Example

Eydawn

I don't know how many of you follow "The Most Interesting Ambulance Crew In The World" on Facebook, but I've been perusing their posts and I've come to the startling conclusion that we're screwed as a profession unless we manage to get past the "hero, guts'n'glory, RNs (and anyone else for that matter) suck!" mentality.

(I know. We knew that, here on the City. Right? But, I was surprised, as I'm so used to our intelligent discourse, to see what happens on the other side...)

It's interesting. Post anything challenging any part of what's posted, and people begin calling you all sorts of names...

I won't link to it, as I don't want to advertise, but if you get the chance, search for it and take a look at some of the posts. There's almost a slavish "yeah, that's right!" attitude towards anything said... lots of jokes, (which are great) and now tons of RIP posts.

Desperate for heroes? Indeed... seems some people are. Just because someone happened to be a paramedic/EMT/FF and they died doesn't mean they were a hero, nor that they should be massively, publicly mourned.... I like what we do here on the City, where someone who knows them posts, and we send each other some love and good thoughts and prayers, and then we move on...

Anyone else? Thoughts? Seems like we're going to need a HUGE culture change if we want anything to change in our lifetime...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN Student

• Like 1

I look at their posts when I'm on FB Wendy. I don't know why, but get I get the impression that it's a BLS transfer service from New Jersey or somewhere like that (is there anywhere Like NJ?).

They do post some funny stuff pictures but I pass on the stories about their daily trials and tribulations.

I think like most things on FB, you just have to take it with a grain of salt. How sad our profession is, stuck with mediocre education, depending on the State, up to 4 or 5 different levels of providers, so disjointed from truly becoming a real profession.

Jim

Line of duty death, yes. But every body dies someday. There's no need to lament the death of each and every single person who dies. Spend that much time focusing on the random deaths of anybody who may have, at some point or another, been affiliated with EMS is depressing and a regressive way to live one's life.

Given the depth of personalities, education and intellegence that the many regulars and even infrequent posters bring to this forum I think it is easy to forget just how shallow the EMS gene pool really is.

Or it's simply a matter of the dumbest and most ignorant happening to be the loudest in the crowd. Much like American politics.

edit: spelling

Edited by paramedicmike
  • Like 1

I look at their posts when I'm on FB Wendy. I don't know why, but get I get the impression that it's a BLS transfer service from New Jersey or somewhere like that (is there anywhere Like NJ?).

They do post some funny stuff pictures but I pass on the stories about their daily trials and tribulations.

I think like most things on FB, you just have to take it with a grain of salt. How sad our profession is, stuck with mediocre education, depending on the State, up to 4 or 5 different levels of providers, so disjointed from truly becoming a real profession.

Jim

They're from Massachusetts. A place I dislike even more than Jersey, though my experiences were limited to Cambridge and Boston which was enough to turn me off there completely. The only thing I enjoy about that place are the Spencer novels ;-D. Regarding their site, I was told it was "totally hilarious" and that I should check it out. I left in 3 or 4 days. I do occasionally get reposts from their page of amusing pics or jokes but some of the stuff they post is just sad. Such is life on the great wide world of the interwebs.

• Like 1

just checked the site out.....very boring....nothing funny on it at all...........

Edited by craig

It looks like we are all in agreement. The page is pretty lame. I'm going to guess that the members of the most interesting ambulance crew have rather large star of life tattoos on their arms. There is the occasional funny thing but not worth the time of searching for it when you could simply follow George Takai.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.