Strange Medical ID Bracelets

Ok, I confess I'm not an EMT, but wait don't leave I really need your advice cause no one else will give me a straight answer. I live in NYC and I was told I have to wear a Medical ID forever :( . If you want the boring story, I'll post it. However, all I want to know is how can you tell a Medical ID from regular jewlery and would you think something like this could be a Medical ID Bracelt?

Thanks so much for your opinion and please forgive my white lie :blush:

Ok here's my boring story: I wasn't feeling well for a while, but couldn't pinpoint it. I live alone and one morning I woke up and couldn't walk. My stepfather drove 2 hours to take me to a doctor cause I didn't want to call 911 I have before and they weren't cool :( Anyways, doctor rushed me to the hospitial. I had 2 DVTs in each leg and 2 PEs. I spent a month in the hospitial but only remember flashes and clips just like in a movie. I had 3 blood transfusions but I never bleed from anywhere. They were stupped by that one. I had clot busters and 2 surgeries one being a fashiotomy for compartment syndome and it was close I almost lost my leg. I even flatlined 2 seperate times. Anyways, I now know who cares about me, My parents took care of me because the hospitial wouldn't even change my dressings (my mom actually had to go out to Duane Reade for guaze and stuff and she has no professionial experience). If I had any money I hire a lawyer, but I'm in major debt and on disability so that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I actual think those medical ID bracelets are pretty cool. I have to find one too, the skull and crossbones aren't my style but I am sure I will find something cute. As long as the ID part is clearly visible, I think they are fine. Mine as well have something cute if you have to have something permanently is my motto. I now have to walk with a cane so I got a cute one with different colored butterflies.

Me again :) Thanks for the reply docs and nurses weren't sure.

1. So say you found me alone unconscious, like what happens next and when would you notice the bracelet?

2.I actually have to get some similar but custom. The only place I can think of that does custom work like that is www.etsy.com, unless you have a better suggestion? The one's above are one sided and I need two because I have lots of major problems.so it's gonna be a fortune

so I want to get it right. If you can think of any ways of indicating there's more info on the back, please let me know :punk: (Did you know

they com in necklaces, rings, cell phone charms and keychains?) and the only website that sells this brand is www.creativemedicalid.com

3. Is there a medical abbriation for Prednisone? I know there's one for Penicillin, I'm allergic to both of them.

Sorry the sweet pain in the butt,

Kris

1: If I find an non-responsive patient I look for med tags on the neck and wrist immediately after checking the airway in my initial assessment. It's not quite how we were taught but it takes like 6 seconds. Everyone does their head to toes differently but I imagine checking for med alert tags/bracelets is done fairly early. I've never seen one like the pics you posted but now I'll know to keep my eyes peeled for them so thanks for the post:-D

2: I have no info for ya.

3: Not sure about the abbreviation. You'll definitely want it somewhere though, even if you have to spell it out. I asked my medic partner just now and he wasn't aware of one but we don't carry it on the rig. I found an article here http://www.jephc.com/full_article.cfm?content_id=498 about the use of Prednisolone in a pre hospital setting but although both are corticosteroids I'm not sure whether it will cause the same reaction in you as Prednisone. They might be the same drug but google is being irritating so I think you'll be better waiting for Kiwi or ERdoc or someone to take this one. Good luck!

On initial exam of you if you were unable to speak I would probably ignore a big leather studded wrisband like that if I didn't see the writing at first glance. However, it would get closer inspection later on a secondary exam, while disrobing you or looking for IV sites.

Luckily though, i would not be giving Pen or predisone to a person who cannot communicate initially anyway.....

Medical ID's are starting to piss me off a little because we have to search them out. I like the old school metal bracelets or necklaces, now shoe tags, tattoo's, wristbands you have to open, etc.

I am getting old though.....

Music sucks now too ;)

Luckily though, i would not be giving Pen or predisone to a person who cannot communicate initially anyway.....

Music sucks now too ;)

Do you guys keep penicillin and prednisone on the rigs? I know Penicillin isn't covered under our local protocols for prehospital use. I read that it's used by some medics in the UK prehospital for meningococcal septicaemia but they're not allowed to give it for meningococcal meningitis. Or weren't at the time the thing I read online was published. I'm almost 800 miles away from NYC and have no clue what they carry. I've seen the tattoos (which, since they can't get lost or stolen are probably a decent idea from my perspective) but I hadn't even heard of the shoe tags. Another thing to watch out for. Thanks for the heads up Mobey. :devil:

I think if you wore those bracelets, anything like the one you pictured, you would delay any provider who might be looking for the information from actually finding it.

Part of the benefit of things like a medic alert tag or a RoadID is the marketing that goes along with them. Prehospital and in-hospital providers know to look for them. Some random leather looking, goth style wrist band complete with a skull and crossbones will very likely be overlooked. At worst it will be missed completely. At best it will take a while to find it because nobody knows to look for it.

You'll forgive me, too, if I'm a little skeptical that your presence here is little more than a marketing ploy.

• Like 2

I'm not so sure I would even look at a bracelet like the ones pictured. This is just my opinion, but if you have serious medical problems. that you really need to make sure that emergency personnel can become aware of quickly...you may want to go with a regular medical ID bracelet. You can be sure that if you are unresponsive, that the info will be found in a timely fashion. I know you want to be cool or pretty or not conspicuous but those bracelets pictured could very easily be disregarded as just goth jewelry.

The company I work for doesnt have PCN on the ambulances, I dont think any ambulance does but we do have prednisolone. I am unaware of an abbreviation for it.

• Like 1

I"m not going to be looking for a medic alert tag on a goth style bracelet. But since they are out there I guess that I will start when and if I ever work on the rig again.

I suggest that we as ems providers start especially if we get called on someone who is a goth or dressed as one.

But I agree with MObey, this designer stuff is getting old and I, before this posting would not have looked.

I know of no ambulance service in the USA that carries penicillin on the ambulance. If anyone knows of a service carrying penicillin speak up now but I'll bet that there is not a single ambulance service out there carrying it.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll