Looking at two different 12 lead books to buy

Hey guys,

I started a new post on this forum to ask about two books I am interested in buying. They are both to help me build on my 12 lead interpretation skills beyond identifying ST elevation and RBBB and LBBB. and Right and left sided deviation. As some of you know I am a new paramedic and 12 leads are my real weakness right now. So here are the two books I am looking at getting:

Rapid Interpretation of EKGs by Dale Dubin

and

The Only EKG Book You Will Ever Need? By Malcom Thaler

Pros to Each?

Cons to Each?

Do they Complement each other well?

Additional information and opinions on them.

I plan on buying both but am looking for which one I should by first.

Thanks

FireEMT2009

I can't comment on the Thaler book, but Dubin is a must to get the basics. Don't read any other books until you are done with Dubin. The next book I would recommend is the Garcia book (http://www.amazon.com/12-Lead-ECG-The-Art-Interpretation/dp/0763712841/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340511926&sr=8-1&keywords=ekg+garcia). Read those two books and you will know everything you need to know about 12-leads to be a cardiologist.

Rapid Interpretation of EKGs by Dale Dubin

and

The Only EKG Book You Will Ever Need? By Malcom Thaler

Pros to Each?

Cons to Each?

I haven't read Dubin's book in a long time. I bought an earlier edition of it (mid 90s) when I was an EMT, and it was helpful then. At that time it didn't include much information about 12-lead. Dubin's book is very easy to read, and has a "programmed learning" concept behind it, that's quite neat. Put simply, he leaves blanks on various pages, that you're supposed to fill in yourself as you learn the material, so each time you turn the page, you're forced to actively read. It has some funny illustrations, and is written in a pretty quirky, accessible style. I'd mail you my old copy, but I gave it away to someone else a few years back.

Pros: Easy reading, doesn't require a deep understanding of cardiology / physiology

Cons: Not a ton of information on 12-lead, not particularly academic

Thaler: This book seems to be more aimed at medical students, takes a little more time to explain the physiology, and is written in a more conventional style (no programmed learning). It's not particularly academic (= some funny pictures), but covers much more material than Dubin. It's a more comprehensive introduction. PM me and I might be able to point you in the direction of an electronic copy.

I would recommend Thaler over Dubin, if your interest is anything beyond basic 3-lead interpretation.

Other books you might want to consider:

"The ECG Brain" by Ken Grauer ---> Ken posts on some EMS forums, and has produced a few good books that are a decent read for paramedics. I have a Kindle copy of this and love it.

"ECGs for the Emergency Physician" by Amal Mattu. Someone (possibly here?) turned me on to this a while back. It's mostly test 12-leads with a very short history vignette, that you're asked to interpret. There's actually a part 1, and a part 2 as separate books. Worth reading -- and really, given how little we can do in the ambulance, reading some of the same ECG book the ED docs do can't hurt.

• 4 weeks later...