What is your 'opening line'

pj2

I tend to not be a big fan of pithy entry lines. Like people saying, "Don't worry, we won't drop you. We only drop people on Wednesdays. Oh wait! Today is Wednesday! Hahahahaha."

I usually just say something like, "Hi, I'm Dwayne. I'm a paramedic and..What's going on?" Followed by something like, "I've got ya. This is what seems to be happening. How about if we...take you to the hospital/have you stand up for a minute/get some vitals and see how they look...etc."

Anything that makes them understand that I'm connected to them specifically and not just giving them some pat line that I give to everyone...

Yeah, I'm not much of a jokester when it comes to reassuring my patient. I take it quite seriously. Here's another peeve I have;

"I'm going to take your vitals." or "I'm going to take your blood pressure."

I prefer to use the word Check rather than Take. If I tell someone that I'm taking something of theirs, the inference is that they will be missing that item and I will possess it when I finish my task. Most would understand what I mean if I were to take their vitals....but some might think I mean their liver or heart. ;)

I remember saying this a few years back, but I like to appear out of nowhere and say "Please state the nature of the medical emergency."

• Like 2

In town - Buenas Tardes, Soy Juan paramedico de la CR. Como le puedo ayudar?

In the villages. Amo xhimumakmate, tex palehues.

Oh, and I am not Juan. :)

I guess, most often I say: "Good day, this is X, can you tell me why you`ve called?" or something like that. It varies, I never really thought about it until now. ;)

Will that be cash or credit :-}

LOL!

Now that`s a nice one... ;)

You might also try:

"Hey, my name is X... what can I do for... oh - wait... sry, I forgot my credit card reader in the ambulance... just wait a minute, I`ll be right back!" ;)

Yeah, I'm not much of a jokester when it comes to reassuring my patient. I take it quite seriously. Here's another peeve I have;

"I'm going to take your vitals." or "I'm going to take your blood pressure."

I prefer to use the word Check rather than Take. If I tell someone that I'm taking something of theirs, the inference is that they will be missing that item and I will possess it when I finish my task. Most would understand what I mean if I were to take their vitals....but some might think I mean their liver or heart. ;)

really??? the doctor probable 'takes' their BP as well. so you are going to 'check' it....compared to what?

how can you check their vitals/ BP if you dont know what is the norm for this person.....

check mine and you might find that it is 160/90...so you 'checked' it...is that normal, cause if you told me you were checking it that is what I would ask....and wuld you know if it was or not....

gee, so you take their vitals......you are not stealing it..........i think that most people would know the difference

I generally say take, do or check more than likely check

Yes hello its Dr Kiwi I am one of, the helicopter medical doctors and I am going to take your blood pressure and eat your babies rawr!!

Hmm I think GSA-HEMS might check if I am actually a doctor before hiring me hmmmm poo

I tend to not be a big fan of pithy entry lines. Like people saying, "Don't worry, we won't drop you. We only drop people on Wednesdays. Oh wait! Today is Wednesday! Hahahahaha."

I usually just say something like, "Hi, I'm Dwayne. I'm a paramedic and..What's going on?" Followed by something like, "I've got ya. This is what seems to be happening. How about if we...take you to the hospital/have you stand up for a minute/get some vitals and see how they look...etc."

Anything that makes them understand that I'm connected to them specifically and not just giving them some pat line that I give to everyone...

I'm guilty of doing the pat line (though I usually say we haven't dropped anyone for at least an hour). In my experience, though, my patients seemed to appreciate the lighthearted humor. I try not to just regurge every conversation over and over again, I just like to try and give patients a sense of ease and comfort.