What is your 'opening line'

pj2

Hi

I am a 3rd yr Paramedic (ALS) student from Australia.

I am just wondering what everyone uses as their 'first line', after introducing themselves. i.e. Hi I am Bob and this is George, .".....................................,

I have been using. What can we do for you today ?. Or can you tell me what has happened ?

Thanks for your help, as it is not something that we have covered in class.

I like to open with one of the following -

Well that isn't normal.

That floor doesn't look very comfortable.

What kind of predicament have you got yourself into today?

Can I see your ID and medical card?

In significant trauma I say

"Sir/Ma'am don't move, can you take a deep breath for me and tell me where it hurts?" Bam; I got consent, A,B, and LOC done.

In a standard approach, I also like to use humor.

"Not the best day eh?"

"Whatchya doin down there?"

"Yuup.... thats a broke leg if I ever saw one"

Although it seems, and may in fact be, unprofessional; it lightens the mood and takes the emergent nature out of the call. In nearly 10 years I have yet to have anyone offended.

• Like 2

After the third, middle of the night, call to the same drunken sot who refuses to be transported by ambulance because his drunken girlfriend called 911 when she couldn't get him to wake up this week...it goes kinda like this.

What the expletive did you call us for this time? Sign here and take that expletive phone away from her.

Edited by Arctickat

There is no standard greeting for me, it changes depending on situation, position, nature of call, age, how they look when I first see them...so many factors are considered in a nanosecond in regards to what I will say first.

There are times where I have said nothing until after I started working on them...or it happens concurrently. I have opened with jokes, I have opened with my name and crew...just way too many variables.

One time I was called to a collision between a farm tractor and a small car. The tractor drove out of the ditch and onto the path of the car which collided with the forks on the front of the tractor.

My initial survey indicated that both were concious, alert, and ambulatory. Self extricated from the car. The mom was sitting on the side of the road with her husband who had just arrived before us.(both of them being good friends of mine) I approached and knealt beside her, my first words were, "So, had a bit of a scare did ya?" Her hubby almost lost his mind. Something like "BIT OF A SCARE!!?? SHE F-IN NEAR HAD HER HEAD TAKEN OFF AND YOU CALL THAT A BIT OF A SCARE??!!" I just looked at him and asked "Is her head still attached?", "yes." "Then calm down, she and your daughter are gonna be fine."