Difficulty adjusting to being precepted to be released as a medic

FireEMT2009

I started my first week as a paramedic this week. I had to begin precepting to be released to practice. In my agency they place us on a three person medic truck with one BLS provider and one other medic of the same (or higher) FTO with you. Here is my issue:

I know what I need to do and I know what to do but my brain seems to vapor lock shut and doesn't allow me to able to think, proccess and act as the medic I know I am and can be. I am pushing to get better but am being told to lead my team including my FTO on calls. I just can't seem to beat back my low confidence and the disconnect between my head and my hands and do and act as I need to. I seem to bumble around and act almost incompetent and I just become more and more aggrivated at my self and I am just completely frustrated to the point of not knowing where to turn.

So I am looking for advice for someone to help a new medic work especially when you have a FTO watching every move you make questioning you at all times. Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated.

FireEMT2009

Ask the FTO to sit back and just observe you on a few calls unless you're missing something VITAL or about to kill the patient. Ask him to let you just fumble through and think through without having to think about what he's doing/wanting you to do so you can improve your sequencing, and then ask for feedback AFTER the call is done.

Also, just slow yourself down. Take a couple breaths to think, and plan your next few actions. Rushing will make you jittery and forget things.

I speak from experience with this, as I really struggle with being interrupted mid-stream. Back off, and leave me alone until AFTER unless I was about to kill someone or do some serious damage. If you have a "better" way of doing something or want me to think about something, tell me right afterwards so I have time to process it and don't forget everything else I'm supposed to be doing.

Hope this helps! Keep your chin up. Be confident in what you know you can do!! Good luck.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN Student

This is really common, in fact I'd bet that we all had the same issue...

I'm willing to bet that you're freezing up from overload. "What do the protocols say?" "What do I believe I should do?" "What does my preceptor think that I should do?" "What does Fire think that I should do?" "What do people think that I look like when I'm doing it?" "What if I'm wrong?" "What if I make a mistake?" "What will the ER doc think of my decisions?"

Sorry Brother, but you have to say fuck all to all of the internal dialog. You're pushing to be a medic now, no longer a student. You're fear is very self indulgent and you've lost the right to such frivolity when you're faced with a patient. Only only line of thought above applies, can you guess which one?

I had a hell of a time for a bit because I wanted the very best for every patient. I'd think, "Holy shit, they're bleeding and in terrible pain! You've done this before, you should take care of this patient, I'll get the next one until I get more comfortable..." There are no 'next ones' now Brother, every, single, one, is yours and you either step up and care for them or you don't. Those around you will keep you from running off into the ditch. Unless they step in, just do your thing. If they step in, learn from it and get better. But you MUST stop playing the "What if/what are they thinking" game.

Accept that you are going to fail sometimes in front of all of those people. It's going to happen, I guarantee it, just as they've failed in front of others. But if you don't limit your line of thinking you're going to continue to fail every time instead of sometimes, right?

You no longer have the right to play the, "I can't do it" game. You CAN do it. Now stop screwing around with all of the nonsense, focus on being A MEDIC, not a timid cog in the machine, and get amongst it my friend...

It's not going to get easier and give you your opportunity to be a medic. Like me, like everyone else, you're going to have to choose to step up and take it. Until then everyone around you is going to see that you're trying to pretend to be a medic instead of choosing to be a medic.

See?

You've got it Brother....

• Like 1

For the first 3 months of me being a medic, I kept asking my self, "who's stupid idea was it to let me be a paramedic?!"

Then there was one call that, although it didn't go great, everything seemed to click there after.

Fake it until you make it... I've been doing it for 9 years now...

• Like 1

I had a medical director, who left us with two stock ideas. 1. There are no mediocre medics. 2. You do not have an emergency, you are only doing a job that you have been trained to do. Everyone expect us to be the best. We have to settle back and realize that it is a job that we trained for. Take it step by step. make yourself a routine, do things in the same order, so that you don't miss anything. As others have said take deep breath, access the situation, think about what you want to do and do it Should you miss something your preceptor will suggest doing it. Review the run, what went well and where you could have done something different. The job requires us to constantly think and learn. Give yourself the chance to learn.

• Like 1