New, worried and looking for some confidence...

mcm68

Hi. I am very new to this field. I am currently a first responder taking my EMT-B class. I also volunteer once a week. At 36, this is something totally new to me and I'm doing great in class and was OK on calls until a few weeks ago when it seems I'm having sudden anxiety problems. EMS is something I really like and really want to do, so I need to get past this. If any of you more experienced EMTs/medics willing to help me out a little, could you send me a priv. message? I'm not exactly sure how that works either, but I'd like to be able to discuss it with someone who may have been through it. Thanks!

Your anxiety is normal, its just like starting anything new. When I was taking my EMT-b class and running with ambulance my first patient that I had to "practice" on just happened to be my instructors wife. She was having complications after gall bladder surgery. Talk about nervous anxiety, and the fact that she was an EMT-I made it even worse....cause I knew she knew how to do this...and would tell her husband...my instructor"... if I screwed up.

The more you do this the more confident you become in your skills...its normal and it will soon pass.

I totally agree... you are going to be nervous for the first few calls, and the first few shifts that you do... the best thing that you can do is find an experianced veterin to team up with that will be able to calm your nerves. i remember the first time i drove lights and sirens to a call my foot was vibrating on the gas pedal the whole way there, and the first call i ever went to i was wondering why the ambulance wasn't there... then i remembered that i was the ambulance.

when you are having an axiety issue.. just step back, take a deep breath, don't forget to exhale, and tell yourself that you know what you are doing and do it...

I totally agree... you are going to be nervous for the first few calls, and the first few shifts that you do... the best thing that you can do is find an experianced veterin to team up with that will be able to calm your nerves. i remember the first time i drove lights and sirens to a call my foot was vibrating on the gas pedal the whole way there, and the first call i ever went to i was wondering why the ambulance wasn't there... then i remembered that i was the ambulance.

when you are having an axiety issue.. just step back, take a deep breath, don't forget to exhale, and tell yourself that you know what you are doing and do it...

How about Industrial EMR_911 instead.

I appreciate the feedback. It's not exactly that I'm anxious on calls-I mean, I am, but the problem is a little different. I had been on quite a few calls, some trauma, some medical, with never a problem. Then one day after a hectic medical call, I was standing in the ER and nearly blacked out-had to leave real quick. Nothing was going on at the time. I never pass out, so I thought it was a fluke until it happened in class the next evening.I was just standing there watching the teacher demonstrate oral airways to a small group of us. So my anxiety now comes from fear of fainting in the ER. I'm getting checked medically, but in the meantime, I don't know if there is some kind of trigger for this, or if I'm just so anxious about the thought of possibly fainting that I actually make myself lightheaded, or maybe I just forget to breathe! I love what I am doing and won't give up, but this has dealt a serious blow to my self confidence. It makes me feel embarrassed and inadequate.

Hmmm.... it does sound psychogenic. It is not uncommon for people to get so worked up over worry that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. Plenty of people actually make themselves sick just worrying about getting carsick or airsick, before the journey even begins. Lots of medic students who have gotten sick at autopsy or gross anatomy classes probably would have been fine had they not been so worried about it. So indeed, your anxiety is most likely contributing to the problem.

Assuming you check out physically, it sounds like you simply need some relaxation techniques. Do a little searching online, and ask your doctor about them when you discuss the medical workup.

Relaxation is the key. I wish I had some magic pill for you, but really the best I can say is that this ain't rocket science. BLS is just darn hard to screw up in any serious manner, so relax, take your time, and concentrate all your focus on the patient, not on yourself. As long as your mind is occupied on your patient and the care you are providing, your mind doesn't have time to dwell on worry and doubt. That's why people who get sick at autopsies usually don't get sick while working on a patient in knee-deep blood. Same reason that some pilots get sick when they are passengers, but not when doing the flying themselves.

Remember, thousands and thousands of people who weren't half as smart or strong as you have passed this way before you. There is no reason that you are not up to the task.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...

Hey MCM68,

I'm a little late but I had to post anyway.

Your anxiety seems familiar to me. My anxiety worries me for when I take EMT-B. (Now THAT is something don't you think?) :( I have more problems with my breathing. My throat starts to feel tight and it gets harder to breath. I start feeling really claustrophobic, like I'm trapped. I haven't passed out yet though, and like you said, I can hold it together during the situation - it's afterwards when it becomes a problem.

I hope everything turned out well with your physicals. If it's anxiety, they say it can be fixed! :) I think I need to relax more. I lay down on a bed or couch and concentrate on relaxing every muscle in my body. You have to physically tell yourself to relax! I do that at times when I feel really anxious and it helps. It can't hurt to try and maybe it'll help.

Dust, you are incredible. You are so intelligent and really know what you're talking about. I can only imagine the people you've touched when you were doing EMS, etc. Bet there are a lot of people out there thankful that YOU were there when they needed someone. Believe it or not, I do look up to you and enjoy learning from you.

MCM68, I'm still wishing the best for you. Bet you've probably gotten over it by now and I hope they are all just old memories for you!

God Bless!

In Jesus,

Tiffany[/font:9acde11a7d]

Hey MCM68,

Dust, you are incredible. You are so intelligent and really know what you're talking about. I can only imagine the people you've touched when you were doing EMS, etc. Bet there are a lot of people out there thankful that YOU were there when they needed someone. Believe it or not, I do look up to you and enjoy learning from you.

[/font:47031706e4]

Good God....he'll never let us live this down.......

LOL I think it dawned on me after I posted it. Oh well. I meant what I wrote, but I didn't mean to create another Godzilla! :roll: I guess everyone needs to be told they're needed every once in a while.

Dust, don't expect that too much, but just know that people DO love you and also (in case you read my recent posts w/ Michael) some of us even LIKE you! :wink:

In Jesus,

Tiff

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.