Show and tell time - Hennepin EMS 2012 Fleet

We got a crap load of new trucks this year and i figure i am going to do a bit of bragging. Hennepin EMS is the 911 provider for most of Minneapolis and 14 other municipalities in Hennepin and Ramsey counties. Look us up on the internets at http://www.hennepinems.org or Hennepin EMS on Facebook.

After deferring new ambulance purchases because of the economy, we nearly flipped our fleet this year with 23 new trucks delivered during Q1 and early Q2 of this year, and three more in october and the last truck getting replaced in Q3 of 2013. We continued to use Road Rescue Ultramedics as we have for many years which we bought through our local dealer, Everest in St. Paul. I think they clocked in at around $185,000 USD each.

The biggest change was switching to Ford E450 gas engines from Ford E450 diesel engines. Much like many of you have experiences, with the amount of dynamic deployment that we do, we had a lot of heat related damage from idling as much as we do since our temps can range from -35 to 105 degrees farenheit. They use more gas, but the trucks are about half a ton lighter and you can replace the gas motors 3-4 times for the cost of one diesel motor.

They added many new safety features to the exterior, most noticable being the flourescent yellow and blue chevrons across the entire rear of the truck. Many of our cops have noted they have to flip their sun visor down while following us because of the ridiculous conspicuity of the 3M reflective decaling. Also added was a directional stick on the rear, so we can reduce our emergency lighting on arrival at highway scenes, as the research is suggesting this may reduce accidents. We also got the wicked bright LED lighting.

Many employees love the addition of the howler, which is a subwoofer attached to your siren that you can use to really get peoples attention. I am torn on this, because it can come off as much more rude than a regular siren and has a serious potention for abuse. At the end of the day, its cool.

The guardian safety seat was added to our new trucks, which can adapt in to a child seat and then can also break down to a fully crash tested infant seat also. These are really cool, and they also add a four point seatbelt system for adults using the chair, which is much appreciated when compared the the safety factor of the standard lap belt. We initally had some ssues with them, but i guess when you buy $100,000 worth of safety seats, the manufacturer is very willing to work out issues with you.

The interior of the module has a couple changes, but our modules have always been exceptionally functional. We have always had dual bench seats and that didnt change, but we did switch to LED interior lighting, which is soft, but crisp, adjustable and doesnt kick off much heat. We also moved the plenum off center so it didnt blow directly onto the patient anymore, but still kept of vent holes the size that allows us to run the bair hugger off of the domestic heat.

In addition to adjusting the plenum off center, perhaps the most incredible addition, and one that can only be appreciated in cold climates, is the plenum was extended to the backboard cabinet, which means HEATED BACKBOARDS in the winter. I was shocked no one had come up with this before.

The rest of the changes are creature comforts. There was a fluid dam added beween the module and the cab so snow melt can run into the cab and soak all of our stuff. We also got 110volt outlets added to the cab of the truck for laptops and umm... Hair dryers i guess. The passenger side of the module was extended four inches towards the ground allowing easier access to the truck for ambulatory patients. The backup camera is now viewable in the rear view mirror and can also be left on so you can see behind you. Velvac mirrors were also added and are a wonderful addition.

We have always had a great fleet, but these are trucks that all of our neighboring services are envious of. There are plenty of pictures on our facebook page, but if anyone wants specific pictures, or has any opinions, let it begin.

Edited by WestMetroMedic

I think they clocked in at around $185,000 USD each.

Please tell me that price is for all brand new equipment as well because if that's just the unequipped ambulance, your purchasing department needs a slap upside the head. Our E450 Diesel comes with a 170" box, Rear view, blind spot, dash cams and thermal imaging. Safety harnesses on the attendant seats which are adjustable to manouver the length of the cot. The 110 power inverter also comes in handy for charging IV pumps and Defib batteries. Heated external access cabinets aren't anything new here, but our units are built in Canada, not Florida, I suppose that makes a difference. I do like your console, ours is just a switch panel on the modified dash. Hopefully the slurpee doesn't spill out of the cup holders though.

All for 40k less than your guys paid for theirs.

Edit;

Don't get me wrong, your ambulance looks pretty and everything, I just think you got ripped off.

Edited by Arctickat

Yep : looks like a toad rescue.

185 k when your buying that many trucks is high especially with the gas motor which is 6k less than a diesel.

Our PL Custom on a E-450 diesel with the 170 body, 6 ft interior headroom, ALL LED lighting , more compartments, inveter, 110 & q12 volt outlets in every compartment and 4 inch lowered skirt on passenger side , arctic insulation pkg , on spot chains and many more extras was 145k 2 years ago, bought as a single unit.

Add in the PL Custom warrantee and you guys got taken for a ride.

23 trucks should have gotten a much better price as a package deal.

I didnt really touch on many of the things we have always had in our trucks, but we do not buy a cookie cutter truck as they are built completely custom, nothing against standard designs as they work well for many people. Even a POS Wheeled Coach filled with Laminated wood is gonna run you $150 these days. Our county RFP'd it, and Road Rescue was the best price that met the RFP of the 7 bidders. I don't push paper, so my numbers are probably wrong, but our County and Hospital supports us correctly and gave us what we need to do our jobs in our specific environment. I don't properly capture how wonderful these trucks are, but they are more amazing than any Braun, Osage, AEV, Wheeled Coach, Crestliner or Horton that I have ever worked out of. We have always had great luck with Road Rescue, perhaps it is still some mutual hometown loyalty since they used to be made up here.

The simplified switch panel was a huge improvement over that POS that Road Rescue used to put in their trucks, and many of their new trucks for other buyers are following in suit and using the same controls. 6' headroom was a new addition over our past 5'10", which really threw me for a loop when i tried to use my head to brace against movement the first time. They also offset the grab bar on the roof, which took some adaptation. We can't do the sliding harness seats as we often transport multiple (3/+) patients.

Here are a couple things I forgot -

The dual bench seats increase the price as you have to get a little more creative with cabinetry, btu they are a neccessity here as 4-7 patients is not unheard of to transport in one truck.

Cab seats that recline to about 45 deg

Dual Inverters, one for outlets, one for 4 Camera system, APX Radio, Toughbook MDC, DRS ePCR Tablet. We dont need outlets in each cabinet, they are only in 3 of them and 4 others in the module as we only really need that charge our Zoll, Bed Battery Charger, DRS Tablet battery charger, and SonoSite. We dont carry IV pumps or portable electric suction.

Solid State heating pads in Cabinets

Liquid Oxygen system with redundancy adapters for compressed tanks if needed

Better "Rub Bars" on the exterior perimeter

All cabinetry is Solid sheet metal, sprayed with a Rhino-Liner like coating, so no more cracks in Laminated steel, easy repair, easy clean, antimicrobial

2 inch reduced loading height, helpful with our topography

Reinforced floors for anticipated addition of Stryker PowerLoad system

All Vinyl flooring in Cab instead of Carpet

"Short Bus" mirror on Passenger side fender panel

Obscured keyless unlock button

All fleet keyed the same

Simplified enviromental controls

Timer/Clock in rear (Suprisingly nice)

There was a bunch on non-standard cabling done in our trucks to support our unique technology situation

All Grab Bars are now yellow, compared to previous stainless. Makes it easier to direct drunks around.

Are the new trucks perfect? Nope, bu tthey are the best we have ever had, and the best that any service in Minnesota has ever had.

Yes, that's all well and good, but does it have an anti-theft switch and remote door locks so you can remove the key from the ignition, lock all the doors with the push of a button, and have the ambulance stay running? All that other stuff you mentioned has been around for decades.

It's nice to see someone who is proud of his work environment. I can appreciate how eager you are to share your new purchases with us. I like to see what new innovations are being incorporated into ambulances by various manufacturers.

What are your other three cameras? You only mentioned the rear view.

What purpose is served by the 45° cab seats?

Are your cabinet pads individually controlled by a thermostat so that one cabinet does not get hotter than the other?

Have you used liquid oxygen before? I've considered it, but the pressurised tanks are safer in the event of a potential breach.

It's interesting that the fleet is keyed identically. Now if someone gets their hands on a key they can pick and choose which ambulance to steal instead of searching for the right one.

How do you safely restrain 7 patients in the ambulance, and how do you provide them with appropriate treatments? Or at this point are you just a taxi/bus ride to the hospital.

Those are very nice Type 3 'lances. Personally, I'm split between 1s and 3s, as my VAC used 3s, and FDNY EMS uses 1s. Something about appearances, but I just don't like Type 2s, especially the "Sprinter" styles.

Nice trucks man, you guys have such nice Ambulances that are so roomy

After 20-30 years of not having a standardised nationwide fleet design there have been lurches towards a single national fleet (finally) after much wrangling between various versions of the Sprinter, the decision has been made to settle for this ... this, it looks like somebody had their untoward way with a UK sprinter or Frankenbenz did something unspeakable to an American walk through box.

sprinter1.png

sprinter2.png

sprinter3.png

This vehicle is a new delivery and has not been fully kitted out the same way as the the Vanbusprinterlance shown below because it is assigned to the Patient Transport Service (PTS) so does not have all the same equipment i.e. only an AED and a first response pack

The Australian style standard vanbusprinterlance was trialled for a brief period but not introduced into mainstream, a few are still around in the national fleet but will be replaced by the Eurosexcrimesprinterlance

sprinter4.png

sprinter5.png

sprinter6.png

Personally I would prefer the van provided it has one or two slight modifications so that the back doors fold around the sides like they do in Australia and on the current Sprinter and that a proper bench seat is put in, the two chairs are not enough to put all your gear on if you are working with somebody who needs active treatment and it would mean the provision of seatbelts for the Ambulance Officer in the rear.

Yes, that's all well and good, but does it have an anti-theft switch and remote door locks so you can remove the key from the ignition, lock all the doors with the push of a button, and have the ambulance stay running? All that other stuff you mentioned has been around for decades.

It's nice to see someone who is proud of his work environment. I can appreciate how eager you are to share your new purchases with us. I like to see what new innovations are being incorporated into ambulances by various manufacturers.

What are your other three cameras? You only mentioned the rear view.

What purpose is served by the 45° cab seats?

Are your cabinet pads individually controlled by a thermostat so that one cabinet does not get hotter than the other?

Have you used liquid oxygen before? I've considered it, but the pressurised tanks are safer in the event of a potential breach.

It's interesting that the fleet is keyed identically. Now if someone gets their hands on a key they can pick and choose which ambulance to steal instead of searching for the right one.

How do you safely restrain 7 patients in the ambulance, and how do you provide them with appropriate treatments? Or at this point are you just a taxi/bus ride to the hospital.

Anti-Theft has always been in our trucks, and we have that cute little remote on the keyring until it gets completely destroyed but there is an obscured unlock button in a totally top secret location. Valid point on the standard key, but it is something that Police Departments have been doing for years. With most Police Departments, if you have one key, you have them all and in this age of AVL, one would have to know how to disable our locked transponder in order to disable it, so that isnt a huge concern.

Our camera system is a 25ish day loop system that is always recording. 2 cameras sit above the rear view mirror to give a panoramic view, one sits above the passengers head and looks at the driver and the other is the rear view camera. The microphone for the system is located in an exterior cabinet, simply to verify that the siren was or wasn't running in the event of a collision. Our union forbade microphones on the interior. It is a much better system than DriveCam.

The solid state warmers were the answer to problems that we had with our previous generation of warming pads. Previously, the ones with thermostats failed and caused the heat to become excessive. These new warmers have fixed that problem (so far). Ours are either on or off and they hit a set temperature and maintain.

45 Degree front seats make dynamic deployment much more tolerable. We got rid of our last street corner post 2 years ago, we have about 16 posting locations and even though you can go inside, you can escape an annoying partner with a comfortable cab.

Although my record is 5 patients, I can only care for 1 high acuity patient and maybe 2 triagable patients. If you have 5 Patients, smart money says they are all going to triage. Often times it is from car accidents when there is an acute onset of the Neck Pain Plague. The dual bench seats also allow you to bring 3 supine patients.

Those are very nice Type 3 'lances. Personally, I'm split between 1s and 3s, as my VAC used 3s, and FDNY EMS uses 1s. Something about appearances, but I just don't like Type 2s, especially the "Sprinter" styles.

We looked at Type 1's, but with as much destruction as we unleash on our trucks and the quality of our roads, they weren't cost effective. We also had overhead clearance concerns with many of our hospitals canopies and garages.

Edited by WestMetroMedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.