Yep, a moment of embarrasment...

croaker260

So in a HIPAA SAFE galaxy far far away....

I am taking care of this patient with an emergent but not critical condition, who has a history of subsance abuse, mental health disorders, and other related issues...on TOP of the current emerergency that involves an altered mentation. .......

In the middle of transport, the patient SCREAMS...

"OH MY GOD , ITS A SPIDER..ITS CRAWLING RIGHT THERE..ITS GOING TO GET ME!"

OK, to say I was doubtful is an understatement. I tried reassuring the patient, to no avail. The patient keeps screaming and pointing. Finally I look over my shoulder...and sure enough is a little cousin of a camel spider, rapelling down from the ceiling, gigggling I am sure at the chaos he caused.

Now I dont know which is worse, trying to appologize to the patient or trying ot catch the spider that was swinging like a pendilum accross the ambulance toward my patient.

Uggghhh... somedays I still feel like a rookie.

Just had to share...

• Like 1

Don't feel too bad, I'd've bailed out.

"In other news today, a paramedic dies after jumping out of a moving ambulance. The ambulance was transporting a patient at the time, who stated that the patient made his suicidal escape after discovering a spider in the patient compartment... Later, ambuspiders, and what they mean for the future of mobile healthcare."

Seeing that I am not really fond of spiders, I would have probably jumped out the ambulance just to get away from it. Do not feel too bad, you had your reasons for doubting your patient. Just make sure that you check first in future. I think we can all learn from this in some way - some things are just what they seem. B)