How'd I do?

I dunno Kiwi. I was once transporting a client to a tertiary facility over 2 hours away. Being a little hungry on the way I ate a few pieces of saltwater toffee. After we dropped off our patient we drove to a restaurant for supper. On the way i was overcome by a sensation of weakness, vertigo, and mild nausea. When we arrived at the restaurant I thought I'd check my BGL and it was 3.2 mmol/L, 58 mg/dl for you yankees. I've since added granola bars and fruit juices to the snack compartment in the ambulances.

As to Craig, I would believe her to be dehydrated to a certain extent. Her skin was moist, yes, but that doesn't tell us much about how much is left in her body. We don't know what her oral cavity was like. As to her skin being flushed, agreed that it would be reasonable to consider her exertion to be the cause, but we can't rule out mild dehydration either. I compare it to someone who has a heart attack in the shower, is he diaphoretic, or just wet from the shower? We don't know, so lean toward diaphoretic and err on the side of caution.

She was alert, orientated, and quite capable of being placed into her mother's care. Oral fluids and complex sugars resolved her condition. I'll stick with my original determination. Mild hypoglycemia from a sugar rush compounded by the added caloric requirements for the triathlon. As well as mild dehydration from the exertion. Although the cause of a side stitch like hers isn't known, many theorize that it could be caused by a lack of fluids.

Edited by Arctickat

I dunno Kiwi. I was once transporting a client to a tertiary facility over 2 hours away. Being a little hungry on the way I ate a few pieces of saltwater toffee. After we dropped off our patient we drove to a restaurant for supper. On the way i was overcome by a sensation of weakness, vertigo, and mild nausea. When we arrived at the restaurant I thought I'd check my BGL and it was 3.2 mmol/L, 58 mg/dl for you yankees. I've since added granola bars and fruit juices to the snack compartment in the ambulances.

As to Craig, I would believe her to be dehydrated to a certain extent. Her skin was moist, yes, but that doesn't tell us much about how much is left in her body. We don't know what her oral cavity was like. As to her skin being flushed, agreed that it would be reasonable to consider her exertion to be the cause, but we can't rule out mild dehydration either. I compare it to someone who has a heart attack in the shower, is he diaphoretic, or just wet from the shower? We don't know, so lean toward diaphoretic and err on the side of caution.

She was alert, orientated, and quite capable of being placed into her mother's care. Oral fluids and complex sugars resolved her condition. I'll stick with my original determination. Mild hypoglycemia from a sugar rush compounded by the added caloric requirements for the triathlon. As well as mild dehydration from the exertion. Although the cause of a side stitch like hers isn't known, many theorize that it could be caused by a lack of fluids.

i agree with that..aslo being that she certainly knew nothing about proper training and diet for this sort of thing, considering that she was 8 years old..as far as the cramp, could be an electrolyte disturbance from the exertion (i find that my cramps from running go away with some gatorade or something like that) Edited by musicislife