80 year old female collapses

Very good. You have identified your index of suspicion and opened the airway. Are you going to hold the jaw thrust maneuver until the ambulance arrives? If you use the modified version you can stabilize her cervical spine as well, since that is your suspicion.

yes, that is exactly what I would do

thank you...would it be acceptable to perform a physical exam (minus any exposure) /SAMPLE if this patient were conscious? Would a physical exam without exposing do any good? I am guessing it could do some good, but i could be wrong.

You can learn a lot about your patient's condition palpating through their clothes. That said If the patient was alert and oriented I would ask her her chief complaint and do a focused evaluation. Make absolutely sure you have specific consent before touching. Remember that if you are not active in a service to the patient and bystanders you are still a civilian and you will want to be extra careful to not give a false impression. Particularly when the patient is female or a child.

Gathering information you can relay to the medics or dispatch will be helpful. For example, If you can ascertain that the requires an ALS unit and relay that information to dispatch they will act accordingly.

Usually if I intervene as a civilian I assure an airway and stop bleeding, then I just keep the patient company and calm them until the ambulance arrives. I have found that there is very little I can do without equipment. Patients often just need a reassuring, confident touch till transport is available.

thank you...would it be acceptable to perform a physical exam (minus any exposure) /SAMPLE if this patient were conscious? Would a physical exam without exposing do any good? I am guessing it could do some good, but i could be wrong.
oops

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

If you are holding c-spine with a jaw thrust...how are you going to do a physical exam? Once you take control of c- spine with a jaw thrust, you can't let go.

If you are holding c-spine with a jaw thrust...how are you going to do a physical exam? Once you take control of c- spine with a jaw thrust, you can't let go.

Nicely expressed. How did I miss that? :whistle:

EDIT: But if she was in left lateral recumbant position and becme alert, how far can a civie first responder go in in the evaluation?

Edited by DFIB