What equipment do you bring with you on calls?

Thanks for the reply, Jim. Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why you always transport on the cot? Is it a company policy?

Thanks.

Also, a question for everyone, how often do you utilize supplies from your bags on calls? Obviously we're all probably taking blood pressures, sugars, and ECG tracings on scene when appropriate, but what about other supplies? I know that the vast, vast majority of supplies in my box are never used 80-90% of the time. What about the rest of you?

Thanks for the reply, Jim. Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why you always transport on the cot? Is it a company policy?

Thanks.

Also, a question for everyone, how often do you utilize supplies from your bags on calls? Obviously we're all probably taking blood pressures, sugars, and ECG tracings on scene when appropriate, but what about other supplies? I know that the vast, vast majority of supplies in my box are never used 80-90% of the time. What about the rest of you?

Practically all of my supplies are in the bag, so I use them frequently.

Moving to the bus, pt more secure on stretcher then in the chair for example. For boards/ reeves, putting wheels under the patient means no longer having to carry them. ;) Once in the bus, always transported on the cot, more secure in case of a wreck.

Absolutely agree. Our first in bag has "enough" stuff to get you back to the bus, on "most" jobs. Our service dose mostly medicine, so those are the tools that get used most, but it has enough bandages to handle pretty significant trauma, We run codes out of it with the addition of the AED. On traumas, the O2 in in this bag, so it goes with the trauma stuff.

Regards, Jim

ETA: Punctuation.

Edited by JMH

I believe in bringing the patient to the equipment when possible; think about a cardiac arrest that you know is a confirmed arrest: Bring all that equipment to the patient, or take 5 minutes to bring the patient to the equipment --- much easier. I agree with the policy of using the stretcher, if they can walk to the bus and sit upright, why do they need an ambulance ride ?

Every call gets the jump bag, a Meret Omni Pro, which has:

O2 cylinder, opa, npa, nrb, nc, and wound care supplies, some oral glucose, shears, penlights, bp cuff and steth.

Arrests we bring in the AED and Suction, CPR in progress gets a LSB.

I think our bag is too big for what we bring, but i dont have final say in the bag we use. As long as the current one works, we will continue to use it. But im trying to get us to go to a smaller Meret bag

I believe in bringing the patient to the equipment when possible; think about a cardiac arrest that you know is a confirmed arrest: Bring all that equipment to the patient, or take 5 minutes to bring the patient to the equipment --- much easier.

I sincerely hope I am misreading this. Let's talk about survivability in Vtach/Fib arrest. Have you seen the survivability curve? That" 5 minutes " of bringing them to the rig is far from acceptable. And why put a body in your rig if not ROSC.

Bring all resuscitation gear in. Work the code. Then move post ROSC.

Fireman1037

• Like 1

I believe in bringing the patient to the equipment when possible; think about a cardiac arrest that you know is a confirmed arrest: Bring all that equipment to the patient, or take 5 minutes to bring the patient to the equipment --- much easier. I agree with the policy of using the stretcher, if they can walk to the bus and sit upright, why do they need an ambulance ride ?

And you're a manager. That figures.

• Like 1

That has gotta be the one time that I would absoloutely want to bring the equipment to the patient. I'm all for getting my patient into my office as quickly as possible so that I have my entire bag of tricks close at hand, but that statement just goes against everything. I hope you're at least doing CPR during the move.

Now...where was that code save thread and has Mikey posted his success rate in there...off to look. :/

In am effort to reduce weight dragged in on every call, we have a couple different bags

Blue bag - this is our medical bag, having all of our meds in it, IV access, IO access, vomit bags hold forms, vital sign stuff, etc.

Red bag - this is our trauma bag having trauma stuff obviously, vital signs stuff, vomit bags, BLS airway and IV access stuff and med admin stuff (in case we give morphine at the patient side). Light weight and fully inclusive.

Green bag - everything airway. King LTS, ETT, BLS airway, v-vac suction, and that kinda stuff.

Turquoise bag - OB bag. That's all I have to say about that.

LUCAS2 - self explanatory, spare battery, suction cup and straps.

Klunky orange oxygen thing - or first responders bring in oxygen already, so no need to carry it in ourselves. In case though.

All of our bags are different colors because if your need more equipment on a call, you often get the best results when you ask a first responder to grab the green bag instead of the airway bag.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.