Bystanders with Cell phones and taking pictures

Ok, you are the third member of a crew that is taking care of a patient who is a victim of a MVA, She's not hurt too badly but you and your crew have exposed her pretty fully.

There's this bystander snapping pictures of you working the scene and also of this naked woman.

You've asked him to stop taking pictures. There is one officer on scene and you've asked him to deal with the bystander yet he refuses to do so.

How do you deal with this pesky bystander and his cell phone?

I had just this situation on one of my last EMS calls before I hung up my shingle.

You politely ask the FF on scene to pull a line and hose the asshole down. they usually get the idea they're not wanted.

This works particularly well with a straight tip nozzle. FF's are usually willing to help solve these problems on scene.

• Like 4

Hmm...He's been asked to stop and the officer wont do anything about it. Depending on whether or not I let my bitch out of the box...here is what I would.

Not letting the bitch out of the box = Sir please stop taking pictures. This woman needs some privacy and what if this was your wife, daughter, girlfriend or sister. Would you like strangers taking pictures of her in her most vulnerable state? I would then again go to the officer and ask him again to make the guy stop and if he cant then we will call his superior and see what happens.

Letting my bitch out of the box= Sir may I see your phone? Wow thats a really nice phone...*insert breaking phone in half here* This is my boss's phone number...My name is blah blah blah...make sure you spell it right. And theres the officer for you to give your complaint too. Here's your phone sir..Have a nice day! Now get on the other side of the street!

I've been called a bitch before on a scene...I dont care. When it comes to my patients privacy I will do what it takes to protect them.

On a side note...I would have a couple people holding a blanket up so the people couldnt see, especially if I am going to cut somebody's clothes off outside of the ambulance. Just for the fact that people have cell phones and video cameras.

• Like 2

If I felt the need to strip her on the street then she would be pretty badly injured, or at least I'd have suspicions that she was. I would explain to the officer that his presence was compromising patient privacy as well as patient care as the patient is fighting me to stay covered (true or not) when I need her to be calm and cooperative.

Failing that I would forcefully take his phone and let the powers that be work out the details after the call was complete.

Yeah, I know. Everyone has a right to take whatever pictures they want in a public place. I can find another job, but I can't ever come back from allowing a picture of my naked patient from turning up on the internet, if I could have avoided it...

• Like 1

I would do nothing to the person with the cell phone. They are protected by the First Amendment of the Constitution. If they are preventing me from doing my job, law enforcement should correct that. As far as the naked patient, cover her up. It is one of the first treatments for shock or the prevention of such.

The officer most likely did not do anything because he understands the Constitution.

Hmm...He's been asked to stop and the officer wont do anything about it. Depending on whether or not I let my bitch out of the box...here is what I would.

Not letting the bitch out of the box = Sir please stop taking pictures. This woman needs some privacy and what if this was your wife, daughter, girlfriend or sister. Would you like strangers taking pictures of her in her most vulnerable state? I would then again go to the officer and ask him again to make the guy stop and if he cant then we will call his superior and see what happens.

Letting my bitch out of the box= Sir may I see your phone? Wow thats a really nice phone...*insert breaking phone in half here* This is my boss's phone number...My name is blah blah blah...make sure you spell it right. And theres the officer for you to give your complaint too. Here's your phone sir..Have a nice day! Now get on the other side of the street!

I've been called a bitch before on a scene...I dont care. When it comes to my patients privacy I will do what it takes to protect them.

On a side note...I would have a couple people holding a blanket up so the people couldnt see, especially if I am going to cut somebody's clothes off outside of the ambulance. Just for the fact that people have cell phones and video cameras.

I like your Inner Bitch. I've asked people to step away for privacy, then morphed into "Stand off, NOW. This person can sue you for what you're doing." I've retrieved equipment boxes--clumsily--and knocked people on their ass, or off balance. (One complaint from an angry protester, annual eval item for me but no discipline. My boss loved the video.) I've found FF personnel are very amenable to "scouring" an area for possible pathogens with water too.

I've worked probably 100 Occupy protests in the last year. You assume you're recorded and on video but if someone violates my patient's space or privacy, all bets are off. Back off or you'll force me to be snaky.

I've just done a quick google search and can't find anything definitive on whether or not a bystander with a cell phone has the same protections as professional press..And if even so, that's a protection against the government, of which I have no legal affiliation except at tax time.

But I'd be curious to see at the next White house press conference how warm your welcome would be if you showed up with your cell phone camera and announced yourself as a member of the press..?

And as this bystander cares nothing for my patients privacy and dignity in this case I care fuck-all for his rights as a member of the Youtube Press...

I'm not, in any way, claiming to be right, just explaining the way it would end up...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.