Rules for exposing a patient?

Musicislife, about the medical patient, let me put it to you theoretically. In an unconscious victim, how do you come to the conclusion that it is a medical rather than traumatic etiology?

Don't hesitate to expose. There is nothing to fear and you may actually do the patient some real good. Yes try and preserve their modesty they are not there for your entertainment. With time you find the proper balance of how much to expose a patient. I personally get annoyed at people that are afraid to expose patients.

• Like 1

Just think like this, your patient DIED because you chose not to expose and check an area because you were too worried that bystanding people will see some nudie....

follow protocols.

What a load of absolute shit, if you need to expose the patient but do not want them filmed you get two people to hold up a drawer sheet or move the patient into the ambulance ... please stop saying things

Exactly, if you come prepared you can always quickly work around things. Going to a cardiac arrest in a mall? take a couple of sheets in. If not used for privacy you can kneel on them. We're not talking about NOT checking areas, more waiting or taking steps or measures to do it appropriately to deliver time treatment while preserving dignity

• Like 1

Good question! My friend asked me last night when would I have to expose people. I'm not an actual EMT yet, but I told her when I probably would and when I wouldn't have to. Then I wondered if people are ever exposed before the ambulance.In class they always told us expose in the ambulance. I always thought it would be more time consuming to do so after being straped especially if your using a KED's vest or something. She also asked so do you think EMS ever look or even judge people. I also thought about that and told her. They are just normal people and there are probably somethings that you can't help, but look at. I know if I saw someone with a Pinocchio tattoo on their penis I would probably look and think WTF! I told her they probably do look,but keep anything to themselves.

• 7 years later...

There is a caveat to treatment called 'Informed Consent'.  If I break a wrist then I could assert myself calmly and do the 'AMA' thing.   And if transported certainly no clothes would be off or cut away.    Nor in the ER either.   I am an 18-year-old female who knows her rights.   I am a high risk person with Epilepsy and Ataxia (Degenerative Spinocerebellar type).  I am always skating on thin ice but where I can,  I assert myself. Everything in context.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.