Diabetic 12 year old male

With your training as a First Responder (or even as an EMT) glucagon is not within your scope of practice. So, for a random patient who happens to have glucagon with them, I wouldn't administer even though it would probably help. I would wait for medics rather than put my certification on the line and risk a lawsuit.

This is just insanity, if Joe Public can assist somebody with their glucagon then how in the fuck can somebody who has actual medical training (and I use the terms actual and medical loosely) not be allowed to administer it?

I think its time for my dinner valiums

• Like 1

This is just insanity, if Joe Public can assist somebody with their glucagon then how in the fuck can somebody who has actual medical training (and I use the terms actual and medical loosely) not be allowed to administer it?

I think its time for my dinner valiums

I agree. It's ridiculous that EMTs do not have such simple treatments under out scope of practice.

• Like 1

It is even more ridiculous that it has been that way for the better part of thirty years and shows no sign of improvement. There is no mention of the administration of oral glucose or glucagon in the 1984 EMT-Ambulance National Standard Curriculum indeed it states that patients who are hypoglycaemic should be "transported to a medical facility". The much heralded EMS Agenda for the Future has included the administration of oral glucose for "suspected hypoglycaemia" but no ability to check a blood sugar.

In 1994 a six week trained Ambulance Officer (Proficiency Ambulance Aid) could check blood sugar and give oral glucose and as of 2000 can give IM glucagon. It's fucking glucagon for fuck sake its not rocket surgery!

And you people wonder why I need my dinner time valiums ....

Nice language.

Even if you aren't directly related to the patient. If there is a family member there, and the patient is unresponsive and has glucagon.. coach them into using it. I'd say you did ok.

I always tell my diabetic patients, to make sure their family, friends, etc., know how to use the glucagon, because we can't. If that's their difference between living and dying, well.. no comment. But if more people knew what to do in an emergency, my blood pressure would be a lot lower.

• 4 weeks later...