Traditions

Stjarna

A recent writing assignment given by one of my professors focuses on traditions one brings to the workplace and traditions one brings home from the workplace. I was wondering if any of you have such and if so, what they are. I bake spice cookies a few days before Samhain (Halloween ) and pumpkin cinnamon buns after which I bring to feed my partners.

Traditions? For me it's more about rituals. I thrive on rituals on how I prep my uni, check out my personal kit and rig, radio and organize everything. Checking twice (naughty or nice).

I make cajun barbeque meatballs every Samhain for some reason and bring them to work. It's Rice Crispy/Dark Chocolate Chip bars for the soltices. :)

Good! Imo the people who don't check and organize it right deserve a swift kick in the buttox along with being tied in cravats while wearing a dunce cap.

Rice krispy dark chocolate chip you say? How'd you feel about switching partners hm?

I'll take a dozen homemade pumpkin cinnamon buns pleeeeezze!!!!!

Usage of the "Q" word. If a tour is quiet, and you say "the tour is quiet", suddenly, it won't be. Quiet is so fragile, it shatters on hearing it's name. It also offends the "EMS Gods"

The only exception to this is, when a rookie craves for action, saying "It's too quiet", to create additional action, for their unit, it will usually remain quiet. This is because the "EMS Gods" have been offended

Never say "It's been a long time since we had a (insert name of major incident call-type)." It results in the next call being of that call-type. I, personally, had 3 of a call type in a row.

Usage of the "Q" word. If a tour is quiet, and you say "the tour is quiet", suddenly, it won't be. Quiet is so fragile, it shatters on hearing it's name. It also offends the "EMS Gods"

The only exception to this is, when a rookie craves for action, saying "It's too quiet", to create additional action, for their unit, it will usually remain quiet. This is because the "EMS Gods" have been offended

Never say "It's been a long time since we had a (insert name of major incident call-type)." It results in the next call being of that call-type. I, personally, had 3 of a call type in a row.

Ah, definitely! The Q word is a certain type of curse one should never use even outside of EMS. It tends to have an effect on pretty much any aspect of life.

For EMS I like the Greek god Asclepius. He's associated with the healing aspect of medicine and his staff is on the star of life. Seems good enough to me.

For EMS I like the Greek god Asclepius. He's associated with the healing aspect of medicine and his staff is on the star of life. Seems good enough to me.
Just me being trechnical, but the staff Mr Asclepius uses has 2 snakes, the SoL has only one.

Check me on the legend: Asclepius threw his staff between 2 snakes that were fighting, and they both crawled around it in the pattern which we now are so familier?

There aren't a tonne of traditions within EMS in Ontario but that's starting to change. In 2000 when the Province downloaded responsibility for EMS onto the upper tier municipalities (Counties and Regions) the hodge podge of provincial, hospital, private, municipal was mostly ended and services were moved to a local level. Since then it seems more traditions are starting to be formed.

Honour Guards are becoming more common; even smaller services are starting to develop them for ceremonial functions and that role is starting to expand. The Honour Guard at my service now attends the graduation ceremony when new recruit medics finish their probation are issued their badge wallet and pose for photos for family with the Chief and big-wigs. The Honour Guard also attends remembrance day ceremonies, the annual awards ceremony and unfortunately funerals. Honour Guards from across Canada are starting to meet and try to reach consensus on protocols, symbols and the like and as a result a common tradition across EMS will start to develop.

Symbols and insignia have started to standardize in some areas of the country. The EMS Chiefs of Canada (EMSCC) met a couple years back and agreed to support the adoption of standard epaulets with a symbol for EMS in Canada and standard titles for front line staff and Command Staff. While the details of the change have been contentious, the idea of choosing one standard seems well accepted.

Funerals. It's unfortunate that we've had so many medics die recently both on and off the job, but it has lead to some Paramedic specific traditions. One started in Peel Region that I think is incredibly poignant is at the funeral Paramedics line up to view the casket one by one, removing one epaulet and placing it on the casket (Honour Guard members are to bring an extra in their pocket so as to not alter the uniform). A more obvious one is the using of an Ambulance in the procession either has the hearse or just part of the procession draped in black over the emerg lights.

FDNY EMS, even when we were still NYC HHC EMS (Health and Hospitals Corporation), uses an ambulance with black and purple Fan drapes, as shown in this link ( http://www.flagandbanner.com/Products/DFANMOURN36.asp ) covering the corners of the ambulance "box" (type 1), and the grille. At least 6 co-workers from the deceased member's station form lines to the sides of the "box", and a Captain or Chief walks ahead of the ambulance carrying a helmet at chest level. Unfortunately, it looks a lot better than my discription.

Now that FDNY EMS has it's own Pipes and Drums ( http://fdnyemspipesanddrums.com/index.htm ) they do parade, shows, and funerals, where the FDNY Emerald Society (fire fighters) had been shunning us. (The drum major shown saluting is another one of my past partners. I was with him the day they got permission to call themselves the FDNY EMS Pipes and Drums).

The staff with two snakes belonged to Hermes if I'm not mistaken.

Both funeral traditions sound lovely. Thankfully I've never needed to be a part of or witness one. Very enlightening and comforting to know such is done.