How to deal with a whacker wanting into the team?

Bernhard

Why do you want to do this?

I "raised" several young folks, some of them now are respectable career EMS in their 30ies. But this one is a new quality, I've never experienced before. We had some adult clowns with full licenses coming in from another unit (after relocating to our village), who fu**ed up things here until beeing thrown out (in one case this involved a real pain in the a** walk through intra-organizational jurisdication). But now I see a kid in the very beginning and really wonder what may come out and if I'm to harsh with the young ones beeing older now myself.

Generally I like this discussion around that topic. I could have handled it all alone, but i figured that once in a while every group has a "whacker problem" and why not getting input from around the world? Cool discussion, keep on.

Does he remind you of yourself?

No, OMG, no! :|

I once was a silent young kid, beeing throwed into some random first aid situations where I could use my training from youth red cross

group. Then the adult group leader asked me to show up in EMS as ride-along at the age of 17. I was totally nervous, got washed up by heavy rain and having no adequate protection resulting in beeing sick a week after the shift. Didn't give up, though.

On my third shift they happen to have me as "medic in charge" (remember: still only 17, with only 16hrs first aid training, even no driver's licence!) on a BLS ambulance, for "only an hour til we have the real medic back from his special assignment, won't happen much anyway". I ended up "treating" a MI without additional backup available (only talking, couldn't do much more, EMT partner had to drive the ambulance) and swearing I'll get the best training ever plus never let anyone experience this again (no fellow volunteer, nor patient). So I was the first pure volly in our county getting to medic school, which was the start into my part-time EMS career. And soon after beeing 19 I've (more or less accidentally) got in charge of my squad - then I raised the standards, resulting in one of the best educated volly squads around here. Regularly I "loose" fully educated vollies to our career service.

Just for the records, this was 25 years ago, times (and EMS laws) changed, such a "17year-ride-along-in-charge" thing won't happen any more in our EMS system. Thankfully.

There is no question that this young man is immature.. he's 16 years old for gosh sakes. He's supposed to be immature. Is there a place for him in EMS? Not on my squad. - not yet.

I'm just considering a bit if i let him show what he can (the one standby duty we had there were no possibility). But it might be a wrong impression since such people tend to behave if i'm present - and fu** up things if i'm not there...