How to deal with a whacker wanting into the team?

Bernhard

We've got a minimum age requirement of 18 as well as an maximum consecutive absence allowance. Miss 3 times in a row and you're off the team.

Oh, whow, thank you all for your valuable input here! I don't want to give specific replies, only some additional info - just let the thoughts flow on.

I have no personal problem with this boy. It's not that I was pushed around by him or such, I only was rather "non-impressed" by his way he worded his email - most probably seen to much heroic movies... :)

He just don't get it until now, that others may see his "enthusiasm" as pure wrong-guided whackerism. I had a talk to his schools first responders leader, which I happen to know very well, and she doesn't know much what to do with him either - only she has a certain commitment to teach the young ones. As Kaisu pointed out, it's clearly not my job to raise a child. We are the adult league here, and there is no time for child care. I have a lot of childish issues anyway with my 20 year olds and often enough even with my >40 year olds. :)

Age of 16 years is the minimum for our squad, and until 18 they're restricted to certain services and working hours plus have to be under supervision by an adult and experienced team member, not counted as full provider (even if they may have the training already). So there's not much what can go wrong. I had worse adult ones...

Additionally, my group isn't in urgent need of new volunteers, we have enough for covering our duties and most of them are younger ones around 20-25 y/o. Training level and standards are pretty high here, which seems to attract people from other villages to get into my team instead of a nearer one. So, I'm able to select.

Clothing isn't the issue, since every active member gets the full protective gear in adequate number. For probatory members there are some spare clothes in varying sizes to have them equipped before their first assignment. He knows this (he already did one standby duty once). Service clothing must not be worn out of duty and there are no such things as lights & sirens & bells & whistles for private owned cars (ecept some officer positions), only a small mark for using the parking lot.

We have regulations about training and service hours, but he didn't break those rules yet, they are rather easy to accomplish with a bit effort. Anyway in the first two probation years he doesn't need to fail, I can throw him out without giving a reason. But I don't want to base it on my gut feeling alone.

I'm still not sure yet what to do with him - is there really a chance to develope him into an enthusiastic and commiting responder or will it just be a whacker in uniform causing trouble in the unit? Since I think about those boy, I try to remember how I were or how some of my friends were in our younger years and if there is some indicator to tell the difference...

So I really like it to have some other points of view here. Your input sure helps for my decision and even better, make a good knowledge base for similar cases in other places.

I'm still not sure yet what to do with him - is there really a chance to develope him into an enthusiastic and commiting responder or will it just be a whacker in uniform causing trouble in the unit? Since I think about those boy, I try to remember how I were or how some of my friends were in our younger years and if there is some indicator to tell the difference...

I copied just a small portion of your message, since I didn't want to take up a lot of space:

Hang in there with him, I do remember when I was a young pup in my teens many years ago, I was very cynical and sarcastic. I had a supervisor who one day, sat me down and had a little chat with me in a non-demeaning way. Considering you have a couple of years to work with him he could turn around and become one of your better people at some point. At 16 years we think we are grown up and ready for greater responsibilities, than we actually are.

I do agree with Kaisu, this is no time to raise a child (much less someone elses), but my advice may be a little patience and a good chat with the lad to let him know how things are to go. Personally I hope he does work out.

JMHO.....

BTW: is there some special meaning to the term "Whacker", don't get to hear it here in the USA?

Edited by djdudley

I have long been in favor of minimum age requirements partly because of cases like this. If he's offering excuses to explain his lack of participation he doesn't have the maturity to join as a member. Thank him for his interest and invite him to reapply in two years time.

BTW: is there some special meaning to the term "Whacker", don't get to hear it here in the USA?

Are you joking? I know you're still new to EMS, however, you've never heard this term before?

Edited by paramedicmike

Your gut feeling means a lot. To test it, I would check to see if his heart is in the right place. I know a lot of providers that vent in quarters, yet in the field they are empathetic and committed to patient care. I have seen the most callous provider treat a street drunk with tear inducing kindness.

I have also known supervisors that have seen "something" in problematic individuals and protect them and mentor them for years. It was not good for anyone. The protectee is prevented from the reality checks that would make them or break them, and other crew members are resentful and contemptuous of the baby.

Why do you want to do this? Does he remind you of yourself? There is no question that this young man is immature.. he's 16 years old for gosh sakes. He's supposed to be immature. Is there a place for him in EMS? Not on my squad. - not yet.

Just mentioning, a junior member of my VAC was offered the chance to "Ride", under the direct supervision of the EMT in Charge of the tour (here referred to as the "Crew Chief"). She declined the honor, much to the disappointment of much of the members, and the entire elected board of officers, but had good reason: SHE felt that she was not mature enough for that additional responsibility.

Juniors, aged 14 to 18, usually assisted in fund-raising, restocking, cleaning both the office, and the ambulance's exterior, paper-pushing, and dispatch, just so you know.

She is now a Paramedic Lieutenant in the FDNY EMS. While still a Paramedic, she transported ME to the hospital the last time I suffered an active duty Line Of Duty Injury, which ultimately resulted in my medical retirement.

Bernard, I think the best solution is to get him on a regular schedule of commitment and see if he sticks to it or bails as soon as it stops being fun. First I'd have a direct but firm talk with him about command structure, and how replying snarkily to your superiors ends with a sight seeing tour of your various lovely rivers without benefit of a boat. Once you're past that, set a schedule for him, say 3 days a week for an hour or so he has to come in and wash the equipment or organize supplies or mop the floor. If he is right for your squad, then he should be able to do as much, and if he can't spend three hours a week helping out, then he can find another hobby.

I think that a minimum committment of time and energy should be necessary to stay involved at all, much less to be give the uniforms and such.

It really pisses me off when people want stuff, but can't be bothered to earn it.

I'd tell him that based on his attendance and participation record to date that he's not eligible for uniforms and/or pagers/radios, etc.

Once he's show himself to be committed for 3 months then the issue can be revisited. That will likely be enough to send him on his way.

• Like 1

Ye gods, riding herd on the overenthusiastic teener first responder... not an enviable task, to be sure. I don't know how my adult leaders did it when I was in my crew... we had some numbnuts in our brigade... (of course, I kicked ass from the getgo...)

Set attendance requirements. No show? No go. If he still wants in, then he MUST do something like chores around the training unit, grunt work, show commitment to the team...

Good luck! If you think he's just being a teenager and could show promise, and think he's worth investing the energy into, you may make the difference between just another whacker and an excellent provider someday. If you really feel that he's a numbnut who will never change, don't waste your time.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 1

DJ, let me slip into my secondary role as a rest-of-the-world to NY english translator and help you. A whacker is what you would refer to as a buff.

As for this 16y/o, it's hard to give a good answer without knowing him. Some who act like that are just eager and want to get their hands dirty. They ultimately go on to become stellar EMTs who wind up as residency trained emergontologists. Others go the other way. Their ego exceeds their knowledge and they get themselves and their pts into bad situations. Most will leave after 2 or 3 of these episodes, the rest will eventually get promoted to a supervisory position.

• Like 2