Biathalon participant medical

A biathalon participant flags you down and claims she is not feeling well. She is very sweaty and pale. Her breathing is deep and rapid. A and O times 3...prepare to treat for heat exhaustion (it is 75 degrees outside.) She is wearing a baseball cap, so you remove it. Time is 0800

Airway is clear

Breathing: Deep and rapid

Circulation: Pulse is rapid and weak, skin is cool and clammy

Signs: Mentioned above and she is slightly dizzy

Allergies: None

Medications: None

Past history: Nothing significant

Last oral intake: around 1900 the previous night ate dinner, drank a bottle of water at 0630, no food that morning.

Events: Running

Vitals: BP 90/65 , Pulse: 120 Resp: 25 per mon.

Interventions: Apply cold compress, spray pt with cold water.

She suddenly shouts after youre done taking her vials "who are you? where am I? Whats going on? why am I all wet?

You note this change in consciousness, and administer oral glucouse....no gatorade or anything like that is around, just water. Radio for an EMT crew to transport (i am a first responder)

In this hypothetical scenario, would I have taken the correct course of action?

Edited by musicislife

Sounds like a good job.

oral Compensation of electrolyte and fluid loss and the oral administration of glucose is a great thing.

Hyponatremia? Could be she's depleted her Na+ as well as her glucose... I want to see more! More info? More on what happened next?

As someone who does event standby, I've seen funky athletes before... my favorite was the gal who came up from Utah to CO (elevation increase), and decided to try 5 hour energy FOR THE FIRST TIME as she came over a pass. Oops. She didn't feel real good.

Wendy

CO EMT-B