Nearly had to do cpr on my daughter

Just Plain Ruff

I'm still shaking.

If anyone wants to know what it might be like to nearly have to do CPR on your 7 month old Daughter, you can ask me. Jenny woke me saying she's not breathing, I pulled Kat over to me, shook her and shook her lifeless body for what seemed like an eternity this morning. Her hands and face were cold, her face was a cold grey in color.

Friends, I've seen this look on other patients a hundred times... and I'm thinking, I do NOT want to be doing CPR On my DAUGHTER, GOD YOU DO NOT WANT ME TO DO THIS. DO NOT MAKE ME DO THIS. Finally after my heart is stopped did Kat come around and start to cry. Now that's a incredible sound. It took her a little bit to really come around but she did. And Kat acted like there was nothing amiss.

Jennifer is on the phone all the time with 911 as they are asking her questions. Kat is crying wondering why we woke her I guess and Jennifer hands the phone up from 911 and puts on some clothes and grabs Kat and waits down by the front door for the ambulance.

I then get dressed and wait with her. The ambulance comes non-emergency which at 3:45 in the morning is the speed in which this old fart medic would have driven as well for a now breathing 7 month old crying in the background patient.

Jennifer hops in the ambulance and off they go to Childrens Mercy South.

I on the other hand, have to email the boss in Washington DC telling him I'm still coming but the class needs to be cancelled for today, but it will still be on for tomrrow and the rest of the week. I then change my flight to 4pm this afternoon, at least for now. And of course I can't sleep so I'll go in and grab a glass of milk and turn on the computer and maybe play some WOW or just watch the movie I can't seem to finish.

Attachment parenting - not a bad thing no matter how much you disagree with the Time Magazine cover page picture.

This is not the first time that my daughter has had a SIDS like event and it is not the first time she has been to the hospital for them. The first time she spent the night in the hospital and was sent home. The hospital tells us that they just don't give apnea monitors out anymore. They have to have documented evidence of an event. My wife was pretty pissed that they didn't give us one back then. This time with as significant event as this was, I'm sure that the childrens hospital is really going to poke the bear, kick the hornets nest or wrestle the fat lady if they don't give us a monitor this time.

My wife is not one to not get what she wants with her kiddos. And she will not be happy.

When the light went on and I saw my daughters face, I saw the face of the last baby that I coded. I'm sure everyone of us can relate and can see that baby in our mind. That's what my daughter looked like. I was saying in my mind, I'm going to have to code my own child and I'm F'ing not going to like this. Please please please wake up. She was limp, like a ragamuffin. I pulled her over to my side of the bed and was shaking her, she wouldn't wake up, I sternal rubbed her, she wouldn't wake up. Why wasn't she waking up. I tapped her face (well tapped wasn't the word) I shook her and shook her and then finally, finally, she stirred, and I shook her again and I heard her start to cry and then she opened her eyes.

And then she really got pissed and crying and she was really mad at me for waking her up. But you know what, I didn't care. And then all was as it was prior to her going to bed, she was smiling at me, looking around. LIke nothing was wrong and it was like "Dad, you're a dork" which of course I am.

So right now she's at the Childrens hospital. (at least at 4:57am on monday morning) and they are surely going to admit her for a Near Life threatening event.

And life goes on.

The Childrens Hospital are admitting her for what they call an acute life threatening event. They will observe her overnight and go from there.

That's the most up to date status I have right now.

Wow. For all the worries and problems I had when mine were young, nothing compares to what you went through. The emotions you must have been feeling then and now-paralyzing fear, anger, frustration, terror, joy- I cannot even begin to imagine.

I hope they figure this thing out, bud.

Hang in there...

Wow Ruff!! I am so sorry that happened...but she came around and, finally they are going to get to the bottom of it. Sending lots of prayers your way! Thinking about you and your family,

Teri

There is a possibility that there might be a large Atrio Ventricular Shunt or something like that. My wife's with her and i"m home with the other kids. My wife said that is what she thought she saw on the echo.

I'm no cardiac nurse or cardiologist but I defer to the wife on this one since she used to work in the Cardiovascular outcomes department of a hosptial known for it's cardiac center.

That would explain the blue legs at times though I suspect and maybe it would explain her fussiness over the past couple of days.

More to come.