Where to intubate cadavers?

Anyone know of any places to intubate cadavers that don't require a partnership with a school?

The only thing close to it I've been able to find is the SLAM course or Jon Puryear's cadaver lab, neither of which seem to be available at the moment.

Someplace in or near Texas would be prefered. Thanks!

I think that as a basic you'll have a really hard time finding a place.

You'll find if you choose to move forward in your EMS career that cadavers are not just pieces of meat to be mutilated but human beings that have made a significant sacrifice to allow us to learn from them. They should be, and have been in any environment that I've been exposed to, treated with the ultimate respect.

My guess would be that no reputable place would allow you to intubate unless you could show how the sacrifice made by the person donating their body would make a real contribution to EMS, or medicine in general in some other way. No offense Brother, but it's unlikely that anyone is going to let you just play with them for your general interest.

The CAP Lab given every year does give you such an opportunity though. And it's ridiculously inexpensive. Intubating, I/Os in all locations, some even did field amputations. Do a search here and you'll find some really good threads on it.

I'd be interested to know what you find...

Good luck..

Dwayne

Why as an EMT do you want to Intubate? no offense but you aren't going to be doing it in the field so why the interest in doing it now?

Get in a paramedic class and you will be able to intubate in the OR and in the field.

Or you can make friends with a physician who might be able to get you into a medical school anatomy and phyisiology dissection lab where you may be able to intubate.

I for one as a medic cannot remember the last time I intubate, for practice a cadaver or in the OR patient. You just don't get to do that. So the best bet is to take a medic class.

Or get to the Cap lab.

Oh, one other place but this is really really stretching it and it may be illegal, nah never mind.

Edited by Captain Kickass

After giving this a bit more thought, I'd really be interested to know what it is you're trying to accomplish?

Not sniping at you, just trying to get a better picture.

The reason that I ask is that intubating a cadaver that's not still warm is going to give you almost nothing useful in teaching you to intubate. The anatomy will be relatively fixed, yet fluid in the field. The head/neck will be very difficult to nearly impossible to manage, again, unlike a live patient, in most circumstances, in the field.

What is it that you are trying to accomplish exactly? We maybe able to be a bit more helpful if we understood that.

Check out teaching universities that accept "donated bodies", also contact your local organ donation company (like Lifelink) to see if they will allow, but as others have stated, stiff cadavers are not much better than the manequins you practice on. Successful intubation is more about confidence than skill, so practice often and you will be fine (pour a can of soup in Fred the Head and intubate him).

After giving this a bit more thought, I'd really be interested to know what it is you're trying to accomplish?

Not sniping at you, just trying to get a better picture.

The reason that I ask is that intubating a cadaver that's not still warm is going to give you almost nothing useful in teaching you to intubate. The anatomy will be relatively fixed, yet fluid in the field. The head/neck will be very difficult to nearly impossible to manage, again, unlike a live patient, in most circumstances, in the field.

What is it that you are trying to accomplish exactly? We maybe able to be a bit more helpful if we understood that.

I joined 2 and a half years ago and the OP was my first post, hence it's a little outdated. I'm now a Medic, I didn't even know the whole EMT bit was in my profile.

Anyone know how much the C.A.P Lab is?

When some of us went to the CAP Lab last year it was $40. $40!!! I wouldn't expect to be able to get the same experience for several hundred dollars elsewhere. And they feed you!

It's ridiculously inexpensive. There are a ton of cadavers, each with a truly smart and committed person there to make sure that you walk away much better than you arrived.

The attitude is fun, but really serious. I promise you that you won't regret the travel expense if you make the effort to go. I'm going to go every year that I am stateside.

The last place that I worked in the U.S. had a deal with the local hospital that allowed us, in fact we were required, to do at least two OR intubations per quarter. Some complained about this, but the NA there had over 20,000 documented intubations, or so he claimed, and was wicked smart and helpful. If your service doesn't have such a program you might mention it...

Just a thought..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.