PALS Critical Errors = FAIL?

So, one of my slaves is taking her first PALS class and she's worried that she flunked a scenario because she did 2 minutes of CPR on a peds patient in Vfib rather than defib ASAP. I tried to determine if this is considered a Critical Error, but I can't find any reference.

Any PALS instructors out there know if this would be an automatic fail for her?

There is a general guideline for two minutes of uninnturuped CPR for 2 minutes that is dependant on a couple fctors:

1- Its a recommendation for EMS providrs, not in hospital. Thereforee in-hospital PALS instructors may not be familier with it.

2- It is indicated for estimated down times in excess of the 1.5-4 minute mark. for down times LESS than that, the immediate defib is indicated.

In adults with prolonged arrest and in animal models, defibrillation is more likely to be successful after a period of effective chest compressions.

CPR Before Defibrillation

In adults and children with cardiac arrest due to VF (out-of-hospital or in-hospital) does the use of CPR before defibrillation, as opposed to standard care (according to treatment algorithm), improve outcomes (eg, ROSC, survival)?

Consensus on Science

In 2 randomized controlled trials (LOE 1), a period of 1½ to 3 minutes of CPR by emergency medical services (EMS) personnel before defibrillation did not improve ROSC or survival to hospital discharge in patients with out-of-hospital VF or pulseless ventricular tachycardia (VT), regardless of EMS response interval. One before-and-after study (LOE 3)and another study (LOE 4)failed to demonstrate significant improvements in ROSC or survival to hospital discharge when a strategy of CPR before defibrillation (CPR first) was compared to a shock-first strategy. In the Hayakawa study, the CPR-first group showed a higher rate of favorable neurologic outcome 30 days and 1 year after cardiac arrest.3

One randomized controlled trial (LOE 1)and 1 clinical trial with historic controls (LOE 3) comparing CPR-first versus shock-first also found no overall difference in outcomes. However, in both studies, improvements in ROSC, survival to hospital discharge, neurologic outcome, and 1-year survival were observed in a subgroup of patients who received CPR first where the EMS response interval was >4 to 5 minutes.

Treatment Recommendation

There is inconsistent evidence to support or refute delay in defibrillation to provide a period of CPR (90 seconds to 3 minutes) for patients in non EMS witnessed VF/pulseless VT cardiac arrest.

This is from the PALS section of the guidlines and is secifically pesented as a consideration in pedaitric arrest.

Copy of all the circulation "science behind the changes" issue is available here: http://circ.ahajourn.../18_suppl_3.toc

So my opinion as a PALS instructor, without being there to observe the performance, is that its not a critical fail at all.

Edited by croaker260

Yup, I call all my slaves, slaves. She's a very good natured girl. She'll be happy to hear your consensus, I like my slaves to be happy. Thanks a bunch.

Edited by Arctickat

DFIB, how did you know she did well before she did? hmmm.... :shifty:

Got her results, 94% on the written and passed both scenarios. Over half her class has to redo the scenario portion. Thanks for the info guys, it helped alleviate her anxiety.

Wow, turns out I am psychic.

DFIB, how did you know she did well before she did? hmmm.... :shifty:

Got her results, 94% on the written and passed both scenarios. Over half her class has to redo the scenario portion. Thanks for the info guys, it helped alleviate her anxiety.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not consider it a failure, it would be normal to start BLS first, then start ALS.