How skilled are Paramedics when it comes to response driving ?

Maybe I'm being a bit bias, but when reading all the comments I come to the conclusion that experience plays a big role in responding to emergency calls (well in the EMS field, with valid reason.......). I also agree that in a sense its unfair to load a 19 - 22 year old fresh from training with the responsibility to be in control of a response vehicle. But then I would also think that even when a 30 year fresh from training are to respond for the first time without training or know how the same issues would surface. Which bring me to all the issues when a accident is caused by a paramedic, for example public safety, delayed treatment of the patient, equipment lost not to mention all the legal, ethical issues and in some services loss of skill.

It's not so much "experience" as it is the right kind of experience

Somebody can drive for 20 years and be an absolute terrible driver but by theory they should be better than somebody with one year of experience because they have 20x as much experience?

I've been involved in one minor accident. While trying to turn down a big ass Chevy medium-duty chassis ambulance down a narrow alleyway (that I should not have been attempting to enter), I scraped a telephone pole. Knocked off the exhaust port and the hand bar for the side door. No accidents since then, though one near miss recently. I was driving behind someone on the highway going about 60 mph (following a safe distance) when the guy in front of me darted into the center lane because there was another car in front of him that was only doing about 30 mph. I had to slam on the breaks pretty hard, but we thankfully didn't hit the other car.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.